Default Cast bullet load in AR15

Hi all,
    I found a box of 55gr cast 223 bullets complete with Gas Checks. Does anyone have a fave load for this in an AR?
    16" barrel, adjustable gas block, silencer, Silent Capture spring, so I can engineer out any function issues.

Cheers

Banned

Default Re: Cast bullet load in AR15

I have never heard of anyone using cast bullets for a semi-auto but I can be completely wrong and out of place.
    One reason not to use them would be that they might be misformed on loading; another would be their fouling the barrel despite gas check.

Have you tried US forums?

User

Gas checks in a suppressor?

User

The guys in the US do it, but I believe the consensus is that it's black magick and to be avoided.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I am with Ds J on this one. Never heard or seen it used and myself won't. Minute lead shavings might be created during the vigorous cycling process that might block up the whole gas system. It will be a dirty lot. Same as with for instance a 10/22 that can shoot lead cast and was coated, but it creates an awfull lot of "gunk" in the action very quickly that is not only from the wax.

Definitely remove the suppressor!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Xkv8r View Post
    Hi all,
    I found a box of 55gr cast 223 bullets complete with Gas Checks. Does anyone have a fave load for this in an AR?
    16" barrel, adjustable gas block, silencer, Silent Capture spring, so I can engineer out any function issues.

Cheers
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Awesome forum with a huge knowledge base on all things related to casting, including cast bullets out of AR15's.

User

I am assuming you have bare cast lead bullets with gas checks and wax lube in the grooves? Most likely from a Lee mould with a slight flat nose?

There are a few possible issues with these in your application:
    1. The wax will deposit in your supressor. This will not be easy to remove, depending on how stripable your supressor is.
    2. The gas checks may come off and damage or obstruct the supressor. Proper seating of bullet in case helps to reduce the risk.
    3. Some lead may shave of and obstruct your gas port and/or gas tube. This may be difficult to clean out.
    4. The bullets may strip in the presumably 1:7" twist rifling, depending on the specific load.
    5. If loaded low enough to not cause leading and stripping issues, the gas pressure may be insufficient to cycle the action.

There seem to be shooters who powder coat and gas check these bullets and get good results out of their AR's. I have a few such bullets from a friend that I intend to test some day.

Others seem to just omit the gas check and PC them only. Posted results seem OK. I have 2 .224 moulds, one the LEE 55 gn and another that is marked 77gn. Nose profile is similar. I have machined the boat tail rebate and lube grooves out, the intention being to PC them and shoot them without GC. The first attempt was not successfull. I guess my PC was too thin. So I have added another 2 layers of PC (and sized again) and intend to try them sometime. First they will be shot in the bolt actions to get everything sorted. If that works, I will try them form my LM. Bear in mind that the piston gas system is much easier to clean out.

The purpose of using a GC-less PC bullet is to save the cost of the GC and prevent any lube or GC from landing in a supressor. The modified mould also increases the bullet's bearing surface, which should help to prevent the rifling from stripping.

So, I do think that this is possible, but may need some serious experimentation. A somewhat reduced load of your normal powder would be a good starting point. With my initial test batch (single layer of PC) I got promising results with 10gn S335. Anything above that caused keyholes. My intention is to go to about 23 gn S321 with the 55gn bullets, at least.