Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Any Comments on the VORTEX DIAMONDBACK HP 3-12×42

Anyone got any comments on this scope. I like the fact that it has 3x for closer shots. Couldn't find it on the Vortex site (Edit: found it through a Google search here).

It's priced a little more than I would like but then I made the mistake of underpaying previously and getting a lemon (Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO) last time.

R10k at Habitat Africa. Just found it quite a bit cheaper at Euro Optics on special for R7695. I've heard that Vortex offers best value for money, is that true or is there any other brands I should be looking for at that price range?

It won't be going on the best rifle, but I like my 308 Howa 1500 22" just fine.

Default Re: Any Comments on the VORTEX DIAMONDBACK HP 3-12×42

Found this on the Vortex website for the same price DIAMONDBACK TACTICAL 4-16X44 FFP, would really like the 3x magnification for near shooting though.

User

I assume you’re looking for a hunting scope mostly. Have a look at the Meopta Meopro line of scopes, much better glass than the Diamondback range but you should be able to find the 4-12x50 for under R10k. Just check, I think the Diamondback HP is being discontinued.

I’d also avoid a scope where you have to adjust the parallax for a hunting scope. Just my opinion others may feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    I assume you’re looking for a hunting scope mostly. Have a look at the Meopta Meopro line of scopes, much better glass than the Diamondback range but you should be able to find the 4-12x50 for under R10k. Just check, I think the Diamondback HP is being discontinued.

I’d also avoid a scope where you have to adjust the parallax for a hunting scope. Just my opinion others may feel differently.
    Thanks will check it out. Yip it will be for hunting and the odd bit of target shooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thanks will check it out. Yip it will be for hunting and the odd bit of target shooting.
    Then get a SFP scope with a BDC reticle, not a FFP scope. There's not THAT much difference between 3x and 4x at the lower end, so a 4-12x40 should be fine. Be aware that at 12x your exit pupil is really small (just over 3mm) so it's better suited for benched shooting, or at least where you've got a good rest.

Oh, and you can buy a lot of Nikon scope in this range for the prices mentioned.

Thanks, guys got any comments on Bowhunter's suggestion that I avoid scopes with a parallax dial?

User

Parallax will help when you're doing target shooting at longer distances.

If you do have a parallax setting on a hunting scope, when you're zeroing the rifle before going into the field, set the parallax dial at your zero distance and leave it the fck alone until you get home.

User

Hi
    I could offer you a bushnel engage 3-12 x 42 . It has side parallex adjustment and has a 1 moa reticle. It is a great scope that i had on my 223 for about 6 months unitl I sold the 223.

I would take R4500 for it, new price was over 7k

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Then get a SFP scope with a BDC reticle, not a FFP scope. There's not THAT much difference between 3x and 4x at the lower end, so a 4-12x40 should be fine. Be aware that at 12x your exit pupil is really small (just over 3mm) so it's better suited for benched shooting, or at least where you've got a good rest.

Oh, and you can buy a lot of Nikon scope in this range for the prices mentioned.
    '

You you explain a little more why would you recommend a SFP over a FFP, thanks.

User

Because your primary application is hunting, where you'd like to have a constant, easily visible reticle at all magnifications.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast