Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Any Comments on the VORTEX DIAMONDBACK HP 3-12×42

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Hi
    I could offer you a bushnel engage 3-12 x 42 . It has side parallex adjustment and has a 1 moa reticle. It is a great scope that i had on my 223 for about 6 months unitl I sold the 223.

I would take R4500 for it, new price was over 7k
    Thanks but I'm going to go for a new scope, bought another scope secondhand and it was a dud. No inference on you mind you :)

User

Vortex, great warranty I hear.

My brother bought a viper, defective out of the box, parallax did not work.
    Got another one, great warranty, went bad, did not track.

And this is not the first time I’ve heard of it, I’ve heard of several others going bad.
    Sure, if gong shooting is your thing I would go for it, with a hunting scope I want something that works, a good warranty does not help you during a hunt.

For me under 10k, a hunting scope, it would be a Leupold.
    I wouldn’t put a vortex on my hunting rifles if someone gave me one, but that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Because your primary application is hunting, where you'd like to have a constant, easily visible reticle at all magnifications.
    Forgive the newbie questions, I have been reading up a little and it seems that if you zero your scope at 12x (a 4-12 scope) then you cannot zoom out to 4x as your POI will change is this correct?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Forgive the newbie questions, I have been reading up a little and it seems that if you zero your scope at 12x (a 4-12 scope) then you cannot zoom out to 4x as your POI will change is this correct?
    If your scope does that it's shit.

Couldn't find a Leupold that caught my attention, but any thoughts on the BUSHNELL FORGE 3-18X50 SFP TER DEP MOA?

Not sure if this is old news to you guys but you get a dual focal plane scope now. Towards the end of the video.

Here's the Bushnell in action. A little pricey but seems like a solid scope.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    If I remember correctly, if you’re using a SFP scope with a BDC or similar reticle, the markings will change distance at every different magnification.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    If I remember correctly, if you’re using a SFP scope with a BDC or similar reticle, the markings will change distance at every different magnification.
    THAT is correct.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Vortex, great warranty I hear.

My brother bought a viper, defective out of the box, parallax did not work.
    Got another one, great warranty, went bad, did not track.

And this is not the first time I’ve heard of it, I’ve heard of several others going bad.
    Sure, if gong shooting is your thing I would go for it, with a hunting scope I want something that works, a good warranty does not help you during a hunt.

For me under 10k, a hunting scope, it would be a Leupold.
    I wouldn’t put a vortex on my hunting rifles if someone gave me one, but that is me.
    I have 4 Leupold scopes. 2 of them have been back to the factory for repairs. One had been in service for 30 years. Great service, I can recommend the make.

I have a few Lynx scopes. 2 have been in for repairs and are working as good as when they were new. I can recommend them 2.

! have 2 Vortex scopes. No issues so far, but if they do come, my local gunshop will exchange them for new ones. So, no matter wheither they come defective from the box, get damaged by me over-tightening the rings or fall off the bakkie, they will be exchanged. I can live with that.

My Bushnell, Tasco (old Jap type) ect. etc. scopes, when they decide to act up, will just have to be dumped in the rubbish bin. I would not buy any of these, except if the bargain is so great, that I would not cry when the time comes to bin it. Like the almost new Nikko Stirling I bought for R400 recently. If it works for a few years, then I got my value for money out of it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have 4 Leupold scopes. 2 of them have been back to the factory for repairs. One had been in service for 30 years. Great service, I can recommend the make.

I have a few Lynx scopes. 2 have been in for repairs and are working as good as when they were new. I can recommend them 2.

! have 2 Vortex scopes. No issues so far, but if they do come, my local gunshop will exchange them for new ones. So, no matter wheither they come defective from the box, get damaged by me over-tightening the rings or fall off the bakkie, they will be exchanged. I can live with that.

My Bushnell, Tasco (old Jap type) ect. etc. scopes, when they decide to act up, will just have to be dumped in the rubbish bin. I would not buy any of these, except if the bargain is so great, that I would not cry when the time comes to bin it. Like the almost new Nikko Stirling I bought for R400 recently. If it works for a few years, then I got my value for money out of it.
    I’ll agree with you on the cheap Bushnell but their Tactical Elite range are really good scopes. Very, very underrated in SA. Spend some time over on some US forums and see how highly they are rated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast