Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Collectors Legislation

Collectors and Members,

I have a very keen interested in Firearms and currently hold 2 Licences.
    I would like to get into collecting.

Could someone pls explain what weapons i may own if i am a collector, how i register as one, or attain "collectors status" and if i have these arms, can i only use them at the range? Or can i use different ones for every day carry and or self defence?

Or where can i get this info?

Pls guys, any info would be appreciated.
    P.s. Johan, i have read about your themes, like special task force and so on, very nice. Pls pm me your e-mail address so i can ask you some questions.

Glockshooter

User

Default Re: Collectors Legislation

There's not that much legislation about being a collector. Basically you have to be a member of an accredited organisation that vouches for you.

So join your local association, figure out what you need to do to convince them that you're a collector, and go for it.

Act says, any licenced firearm can be used for any lawful purpose. You should know that, being (presumably) in possession of a competency certificate.

What do you want to collect, and why?

User

Contact your local collectors association, I ma sure SAAACA will have a CT branch.

User

Hi Wrm,

Thanks for your post, i hope your well.

I am in possession of comp cert, but i was under the impression that you may only be allowed to carry your actual "self defence" weapon, i heard somewhere that they are quite sticky about using a "collection" or "competition" weapon for a different purpose that what it was issued for. In this case collection.

Like i said the why is that i have a keen interest in firearms. What do i want to collect? Well i have a glock 9mm and would like a nice 1911 .45 as well as a revolver pref a .357.

I have an old .303 but would like a new or modern .30-06 for hunting purposes. Also a o/u 12ga. These i can get without being a collector, but the handguns i will have to register for "collector status".

I have thought about sport shooting status, but if you dont shoot regularly enough and keep your points and so forth you may not get your permits renewed under this status. I would like to go and shoot when it suits me and not when i "have to".

Could you give me some advice?
    Collector is prob the way to go right?

Thank you in advance
    Glockshooter

If you join a Collectors Ass. you will have to decide on a "Theme". Unfortunately "firearns" is not classified as a theme. You will still have to attend Ass. activities in order to maintain your Collector status just like any of the sport shooting Ass's.

You may use any legally licensed firearm in your possession for any legal purpose.

Anytime shooting becomes a "have to" you need to take up a different hobby..........crocheting?
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Hi Ross,
    Thx for your comments, i love to go shooting. It just depends on time availability, my life does not cosist of firearms. However i have a keen interest in them.You know nothing about me and i know nothing about you, i would not be on here if i had no interest in firearms. I find it quite funny, that you have to post messages like that. its not needed.

I see it often on these forums that some more experienced members, or those with more time for shooting have to put others down... I thought we were all a bunch of like minded ppl that could share info and views.

Thx for the info much appreciated, i will disregard your last comment. :-)

i understand the whole time to go and shoot story. I am a collector with SAAACA, and yes you must stipulate themes, although there is no limitation on themes, you can have 40 themes, with 40 sub-themes, if you so desire.

The part that you will have to bear in mind, is that you will have to convince a panel of very well versed enthusiast, and some damn near fanatical exec. committee members that you are a true collector at heart and want the status for the right reasons, and not just to buy 7 guns that you inherited and want to keep, etc. etc. etc.

Once you have done that then it is mere formalities that you must go through... good luck.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Eish! GS... dial down the sensitivity level on your screen a tad.

BTW, that remark constituted as warm a welcome as I have ever seen from Ross.

As he said though, all the accreditation organisations are going to require some form of structured 'buy in' from you. It's the price we all pay.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by GlockShooter View Post
    Hi Ross,
    Thx for your comments, i love to go shooting. It just depends on time availability, my life does not cosist of firearms. However i have a keen interest in them.You know nothing about me and i know nothing about you, i would not be on here if i had no interest in firearms. I find it quite funny, that you have to post messages like that. its not needed.

I see it often on these forums that some more experienced members, or those with more time for shooting have to put others down... I thought we were all a bunch of like minded ppl that could share info and views.

Thx for the info much appreciated, i will disregard your last comment. :-)

Firstly, wind your neck in.

"A keen interest" is great, but largely useless when it comes to defining a theme for collecting purposes. I suggest that you do significantly more research than you appear to have done in order to come up with themes other than guns generally.

Any collector's association is going to require you to attend events from time to time to maintain your status. That's just the way it is.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Glockshooter; SSP and Paul know me a lot better than you do, so I suggest you just suck it up. If you cannot interpret what I am saying and see that the last comment was said with tongue in cheek, you are definitely taking yourself way too seriously!

Here endith the lesson.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast