Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default Re: Demolition Ranch and other videos

Convert your semiauto AR15 or AR10 into a bolt action easily.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    My subs-

Demo Ranch

Brandon Hererra

Donut Operator

Kentucky Ballistics

Taofledermaus

Forgotten Weapons

ASP

And of course old FPS Russia
    Add 9 Hole Reviews to that list. Good shooting, interesting arms.

Wow, did not expect that. The lost art of cut shells.

https://rumble.com/vb7rs7-the-lost-a...ut-shells.html

User

The 'lost art' of cut shot shells.......my take on this........here be dragons...
    My take on this practice but lets quickly go back to basic shotgun design. A shotgun has a certain sized chamber,it could for eg.be a 2 and a half inch chamber. This chamber is made for a shell not exceeding this length IN THE FIRED STATE. In other words with the crimp [star or roll crimp] opened. In the chamber is a forcing cone into which, on fireing,the case crimp opens so as not to impede the shot and wad leaving the shell and travelling down the barrel.
    The danger lies in shooting a 3 inch shell in such a shotgun in that,while it will chamber,there is no space in the forcing cone ahead of the crimp for the crimped part of the shell to expand.The front part of the shell,the wad and the shot now all fight for barrel space which raises pressure significantly.
    This cut shot shell practice is putting more pressure than ever on the barrel as the whole shell itself is being forced down a too small hole , akin to shooting a 30 cal bullet from a 7mm barrel albeit it is at a much lower pressure.
    Then the poor chokes have to contend with trying to further constrict the whole thing at the muzzle end.
    I really would not recommend this practice.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    The 'lost art' of cut shot shells.......my take on this........here be dragons...
    My take on this practice but lets quickly go back to basic shotgun design. A shotgun has a certain sized chamber,it could for eg.be a 2 and a half inch chamber. This chamber is made for a shell not exceeding this length IN THE FIRED STATE. In other words with the crimp [star or roll crimp] opened. In the chamber is a forcing cone into which, on fireing,the case crimp opens so as not to impede the shot and wad leaving the shell and travelling down the barrel.
    The danger lies in shooting a 3 inch shell in such a shotgun in that,while it will chamber,there is no space in the forcing cone ahead of the crimp for the crimped part of the shell to expand.The front part of the shell,the wad and the shot now all fight for barrel space which raises pressure significantly.
    This cut shot shell practice is putting more pressure than ever on the barrel as the whole shell itself is being forced down a too small hole , akin to shooting a 30 cal bullet from a 7mm barrel albeit it is at a much lower pressure.
    Then the poor chokes have to contend with trying to further constrict the whole thing at the muzzle end.
    I really would not recommend this practice.

Some good advice, thanks.

Were shotgun barrels perhaps designed differently back in the day that allowed for the cut method to be safer? Or did they just not think things through and just liked the big holes it made...

User

Older shotguns,including damascus barrelled ones,external hammer guns and the first hammerless guns were all measured by gauge. 12 gauge or bore takes the measurement of the amount of pure lead balls that fit the barrel that equal 1 pound in weight. So,a 12 gauge shotgun will have a bore that [about .720] 12 barrel size lead balls would equal a pound.
    This has not changed.
    The older guns were also chambered for 65mm shells and some manufactures make shorter shells specifically to be fired safely in the older guns.
    These cut shells do not automatically mean a blown up shotgun....you may get away with it for a period of time but sooner or later something will let go.Especially with an older gun.

There's some controversy surrounding BRCC but their videos are still good.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    There's some controversy surrounding BRCC but their videos are still good.

Lately over their statement saying they don't support Kyle Rittenhouse, after a pic of him wearing one of their shirts after he made bail did the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Lately over their statement saying they don't support Kyle Rittenhouse, after a pic of him wearing one of their shirts after he made bail did the rounds.
    Also some of them donating to Democrats which pissed off quite a few people, especially gun-loving and Trump/Republican people and they lost some business.

Yeah I meant lately, wasn't aware of anything in the past I don't follow them that closely.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast