Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Muzzle brake on a 9mm carbine

Hi guys

I'm curious to know and keen on a little debate on a local forum and from local shooters.

Topic: is a muzzle brake necessary on a 9mm carbine?
    We all know that on our 5.56/223 a brake is a must.

Let's have some fun, it's not like we can go anywhere and please let's be civil and kind to one another.

And GO...

User

Default Re: Muzzle brake on a 9mm carbine

My Observations:

So I have cycled 4 different loads, a significant amount of each, through my 10" Stribog, my observations as follows:

147 Grain Frontier RN FMJ, 4.2 grain S121: +-1040 fps(Yes I know, slow, S121??): Not much, if any, report/percussion coming out the sides or top of the compensator, almost no muzzle flip, similar muzzle movement to my 18" .223 Mid-Length DM4 with Competition Comp, dot wobbles a bit but A3 target remains in the sight aperture at 80 yards.
    115 Grain S&B RN FMJ and JHP, +-1350 fps: More gas comes out the compensator, plain to see with the eye, but no significant percussion. Again same muzzle behavior as above.
    124 grain STV Scorpio FMJ, +-1250 fps: A little more gas than the S&B but no extra felt percussion, muzzle behavior is the same as the 147 grain above.

As for accuracy, I shot the following two 5 shot groups at 80 yards, supported, ammunition is the STV Scorio 124 grain FMJ. I did multiply by a factor of 1.2 to get rough MOA as I didn't have access to a longer range prior to lock-down, so its cheating in a sense, however, I believe it illustrates my findings. One of the groups is without the comp and the other is with it on. I cannot remember which one is which, but the difference is negligible.
    March 2020 80 yards.jpgMarch 2020 80 yards 2.jpg

In conclusion, I wish I had wrapped some masking tape around the compensator to see if the percussion could actually rupture the tape. It feels very negligible to me, and I just don't see there being enough VOLUME of gas to create significant vectored percussion through a comp. I feel that further testing is necessary and would like to try a slower powder with lighter 100 grain and/or if available those 65 grain frangible ARX bullets.

Interested in seeing other chaps findings/thoughts on this topic.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dvyant View Post
    My Observations:

So I have cycled 4 different loads, a significant amount of each, through my 10" Stribog, my observations as follows:

147 Grain Frontier RN FMJ, 4.2 grain S121: +-1040 fps(Yes I know, slow, S121??): Not much, if any, report/percussion coming out the sides or top of the compensator, almost no muzzle flip, similar muzzle movement to my 18" .223 Mid-Length DM4 with Competition Comp, dot wobbles a bit but A3 target remains in the sight aperture at 80 yards.
    115 Grain S&B RN FMJ and JHP, +-1350 fps: More gas comes out the compensator, plain to see with the eye, but no significant percussion. Again same muzzle behavior as above.
    124 grain STV Scorpio FMJ, +-1250 fps: A little more gas than the S&B but no extra felt percussion, muzzle behavior is the same as the 147 grain above.

As for accuracy, I shot the following two 5 shot groups at 80 yards, supported, ammunition is the STV Scorio 124 grain FMJ. I did multiply by a factor of 1.2 to get rough MOA as I didn't have access to a longer range prior to lock-down, so its cheating in a sense, however, I believe it illustrates my findings. One of the groups is without the comp and the other is with it on. I cannot remember which one is which, but the difference is negligible.
    March 2020 80 yards.jpgMarch 2020 80 yards 2.jpg

In conclusion, I wish I had wrapped some masking tape around the compensator to see if the percussion could actually rupture the tape. It feels very negligible to me, and I just don't see there being enough VOLUME of gas to create significant vectored percussion through a comp. I feel that further testing is necessary and would like to try a slower powder with lighter 100 grain and/or if available those 65 grain frangible ARX bullets.

Interested in seeing other chaps findings/thoughts on this topic.
    Dvyant, Thank you for your detailed post. Nice grouping as well and as you said it's 6 of the one and half a dozen of the other. I'm keen to see some other replies.

User

9mm carbines are mostly recoil operated, with a heavy breech block/slide only. The felt recoil is attributable to the breech block slamming into the rear of the reciever. I would guess that the little bit the muzzle blast contributes to the recoil is neglegible. A brake would look cool though...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    9mm carbines are mostly recoil operated, with a heavy breech block/slide only. The felt recoil is attributable to the breech block slamming into the rear of the reciever. I would guess that the little bit the muzzle blast contributes to the recoil is neglegible. A brake would look cool though...
    My sentiments exactly, a break will look the part but I don't think it will make a difference at all, except extra weight and the end of the muzzle.

User

I've read on Brian Enos forum that the break can assist with the timer picking up the shots on longer barrel PCC's. In the US it also helps reach the 16" barrel length required to not be a short barreled rifle

User

A break will just damage it...

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    A break will just damage it...
    But it breaks the recoil.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Oh give it a brake.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Will 124 gram bullet heads work better with a break?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast