Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: AR options in SA

Quote Originally Posted by _Genocide_ View Post
    I just want to know where in SA we can get decent m-lok handguards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As suggest by Gman, Hailstorm would be my first port of call for anything MSR related! Gerrit-Jan at Hailstorm is also extremely knowledgeable on the AR platform! They can be hens teeth at times, so you can also try Jizni, DSG, Spartan, Tac HQ, CIS!

User

As Capt Hook said, good luck finding a mid-length gas system, 13" rifle.
    Troy have options that may suite you, but not in 13". AFAIK the only folks bringing in different barrel lengths, is the Aero precision agents. Capt Hook knows more about that, than I do.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    As Capt Hook said, good luck finding a mid-length gas system, 13" rifle.
    I don't see the problem. Since South Africa has developed a fully working thermonuclear device, I'm quite sure there are people over there who are pretty good with a lathe...

My 12" barrel wasn't, one of my 14,5" wasn't, my 17".... You get the picture. A mid gassed 16" on a off the shelf carbine is a perfect starting point to turn it into a 13-14,5" version. Most probably you don't even need to drill the gas port larger, since thus far all of the carbines I've seen in production have been severely over gassed.

My one example of a mid length system showed no advantage over a carbine gas. As AK said, they seem to be over gassed. This to cater for mild commercial ammunition. Cutting the barrel back on say a 16 inch may do it a world of good.That being said you will likely be far better served by getting a stock Colt, adding the handguards you want and then if you really feel the need for a suppressor ordering one of the bolt carriers designed for it. I think LMT and a few others make. You then dont alter the rifle and can switch between suppressed and unsuppressed.

Banned

You can try Bellum Arcus for a custom AR

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    You can try Bellum Arcus for a custom AR
    I did. They have some nice options but only in 300blk and 10,5” for 556.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I don't see the problem. Since South Africa has developed a fully working thermonuclear device, I'm quite sure there are people over there who are pretty good with a lathe...

My 12" barrel wasn't, one of my 14,5" wasn't, my 17".... You get the picture. A mid gassed 16" on a off the shelf carbine is a perfect starting point to turn it into a 13-14,5" version. Most probably you don't even need to drill the gas port larger, since thus far all of the carbines I've seen in production have been severely over gassed.
    It's illegal to alter a barrel without official permission.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post

This be true Sir. We still have the capability to build barrels, which Musgrave is doing at present for the locally built DM4 AR's.
    I just haven't seen many mid-length AR's here in S.A, the vast majority are carbine length. I personally prefer a mid-length rifle.

I have a 16" Troy that I'd like cut down to 14.5" but I don't know of a gunsmith competent enough to do it, locally.

User

There is an importer there for the probably best manufacturer of basic AR-rifles: Windham Weaponry. They have what about anyone should be needing for a high quality base weapon.

Like a model with a mid gassed 16" medium profile barrel which is easy to shorten by any proficient lathe craftsman...

There are things to consider if you want to shorten the barrel, every barrel can not be cut and re-threaded.

User

Any ideas who would have stock of the Samson SX series of rails?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast