Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Downloading AR magazines

User

Default Re: Downloading AR magazines

I also recently came across the following video from Warrior Poet about down-loading your AR mags to 29 rounds (instead of 30 rounds).... watch the video and you decide.

Link:

Having watched the video and investigated his recommendations, I have decided to down-load all of my AR mags accordingly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    I also recently came across the following video from Warrior Poet about down-loading your AR mags to 29 rounds (instead of 30 rounds).... watch the video and you decide.

Link:

Having watched the video and investigated his recommendations, I have decided to down-load all of my AR mags accordingly.
    I saw that one. From what I understand judging from the video and comments,Chuck Pressburg made this video as a sort of a response to a lot of comments regarding this issue after the warrior poet one went up.

User

Down loading them to 29 or 28 makes it much less likely that you don't get
    your mag seated and locked in under stress.

User

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    Down loading them to 29 or 28 makes it much less likely that you don't get
    your mag seated and locked in under stress.
    Yup... especially in a stressful situation when one might be dealing with a home invasion and focussing on the BG's etc.

User

Question. If manufacturers made 29 round mags instead of 30 round mags would those need to be downloaded by 1 as well?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I use P Mag Gen 3 in a Ruger AR 556 and download to 29 since always. 30 will fit and the mag can be seated. The bolt will also be able to work and chambering a round works 100 %. I just don't like the harder push that needs to be used to seat it with 30 rounds and cannot think of a reason for myself to have that 1 extra round. Have never heard of a SD situation in RSA where more than 29 rounds of .223 from an AR was needed. The odds are there, but I will take my chances. My AR is also not used or planned to be used for a SD or Home defence tool. For sport shooting, should a COF need more than 29 rounds, it will probably also need more than 30 in any case, so still 1 mag change in the COF.

I had a few of some brand of military surplus steel mags. They gave feeding problems from 28 rounds and more. I now just use them for storage and compact transport of extra ammo.

User

To quote pat ncnamara: it's called a 30 Rd mag for a reason...
    Just sayin'...

User

Funny storey.
    After many a DMG match I took part in an IPSC side rifle match.
    Cof had us start bolt forward magwell empty.
    After the beep I found out full mags do not work in my gun CQA . Took me between 30 to 50s to sort the issue out under time clock pressure. At the time I did not know that 30rd could be issue, the mags just did not want to seat, and from 15rd DMG matches I had no previous issues. Solved on the clock by locking the bolt back.

Since then I download to 28rds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    Funny storey.
    After many a DMG match I took part in an IPSC side rifle match.
    Cof had us start bolt forward magwell empty.
    After the beep I found out full mags do not work in my gun CQA . Took me between 30 to 50s to sort the issue out under time clock pressure. At the time I did not know that 30rd could be issue, the mags just did not want to seat, and from 15rd DMG matches I had no previous issues. Solved on the clock by locking the bolt back.

Since then I download to 28rds.
    Exactly... its good and well for others to say xxx says its ok to load 30 round mags with the full 30 rounds, until it isn't.... Now imagine if there were ever a high-stress situation where seating the mag properly the first time was a matter of life or death.

#JustSaying

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast