Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How many firearms can you own if you do not have dedicated status?

I'm a little confused, when I first applied I was told that you are allowed a maximum of 3 firearms, but have now heard that you can have four?

I have a Glock 19 under Section 13.
    I have a 12g shotgun under Section 15
    I have 308 bolt rifle under Section 15.

Would I be able to apply for another firearm?

I am looking at a .223 bolt rifle for hunting and a 357 Magnum revolver as a hunting revolver. I assume to get both I would need Dedicated Hunter status but what about just one? If I had to choose I would lean toward the .223 as I want to use it for plinking, vermin, guinea and maybe even springbok (is that advisable) and because ammo is readily available and failry cheap for the .223 caliber. How would I motivate for such a rifle?

Thanks

User

Default Re: How many firearms can you own if you do not have dedicated status?

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I'm a little confused, when I first applied I was told that you are allowed a maximum of 3 firearms, but have now heard that you can have four?

I have a Glock 19 under Section 13.
    I have a 12g shotgun under Section 15
    I have 308 bolt rifle under Section 15.

Would I be able to apply for another firearm?

I am looking at a .223 bolt rifle for hunting and a 357 Magnum revolver as a hunting revolver. I assume to get both I would need Dedicated Hunter status but what about just one? If I had to choose I would lean toward the .223 as I want to use it for plinking, vermin, guinea and maybe even springbok (is that advisable) and because ammo is readily available and failry cheap for the .223 caliber. How would I motivate for such a rifle?

Thanks
    Four total. You will be able to licence another handgun, manually-operated rifle or shotgun (not semi-auto)

Get a second semi auto pistol for occasional sport first.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I agree with SSP. If you need one handgun for defense, you really need two.

Split training round counts between them and have an option should one break or be taken for ballistics

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Get a second semi auto pistol for occasional sport first.
    I don't see myself using a second pistol as much as I would a 223 though, so would be a bit of a waste.
    Also, when on a hunt a friend could use the second rifle.

User

I don't see myself using a second pistol as much as I would a 223 though, so would be a bit of a waste.
    Until your other handgun goes for ballistics. Or major repair

User

Guns break, shit happens as Roach says.
    Get another S15 handgun, something for occasional shooting but something that can be used as EDC should your S13 be out of action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

(If this is considered derailing, apologies in advance Ill be more than happy to start my own thread)

If I may piggy back onto this. . . Im the idiot that wrote my competency a week or so before lock down and due to a car accident applying was the last thing on my mind before March 26.I already have a G19 (still at the range of course) and I can count on my 2 hands the amount of other hand guns I also really want.

So 2 folded questions seeing that you cannot own more than 2 Hand guns out of the 4 FA's without dedicated status.

1. What will I need to accompany my Sec15 License application (CZ shadow or similar) together with my G19 under Sec13? As in, will they give me a occasional sport shooting license straight off the bat? I really dont want any time to pass from my side with the current state of affairs on the licensing side. So one day when I actually have my competency in hand I want to apply for my Sec13/15 same day.

2. What will I need apart from DSS status to own several modern handguns?I will actually prefer to carry a P365XL for EDC then it means I already have the G19 as a 3rd FA (could make it wifes SEC15?)
    BUTI also want a 1911/2011, revolver, sub compact .45 and a Beretta 92 (actually want the Girsan Regard in FDE)Yes I still have a seriously long waiting period but I will want to have most of these and probably other FA's asap.
    (Lockdown has me eyeballing how my bonus will be spent if I get one in June)

You will think its a waste, right up until you need to use your self defence gun to save your life and lose it to ballistics for a year or more.

Then you will trade your .223 bolt gun for a R500 Rossi .38.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tman21 View Post
    (If this is considered derailing, apologies in advance Ill be more than happy to start my own thread)

If I may piggy back onto this. . . Im the idiot that wrote my competency a week or so before lock down and due to a car accident applying was the last thing on my mind before March 26.I already have a G19 (still at the range of course) and I can count on my 2 hands the amount of other hand guns I also really want.

So 2 folded questions seeing that you cannot own more than 2 Hand guns out of the 4 FA's without dedicated status.

1. What will I need to accompany my Sec15 License application (CZ shadow or similar) together with my G19 under Sec13? As in, will they give me a occasional sport shooting license straight off the bat? I really dont want any time to pass from my side with the current state of affairs on the licensing side. So one day when I actually have my competency in hand I want to apply for my Sec13/15 same day.

2. What will I need apart from DSS status to own several modern handguns?I will actually prefer to carry a P365XL for EDC then it means I already have the G19 as a 3rd FA (could make it wifes SEC15?)
    BUTI also want a 1911/2011, revolver, sub compact .45 and a Beretta 92 (actually want the Girsan Regard in FDE)Yes I still have a seriously long waiting period but I will want to have most of these and probably other FA's asap.
    (Lockdown has me eyeballing how my bonus will be spent if I get one in June)
    In short.

1. You can apply for a section 15 handgun at anytime so long as you have Handgun Comp.

2. You will need to be a member of an accredited association and hold and keep up DSS status. IE you have to show a need/motivate for each handgun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast