Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: First EDC - Glock 19 vs Glock 43X

I've carried had glock 19 for the last 5 years , I didn't carry it everyday though, due to work constraints.

I bought a G43 as well two years ago and carry that most of the time , its smaller size makes it much more easy to carry especially when cycling jogging , wearing shorts and Tshirt.

The Glock 19 obviously shoots better but you will carry the 43 more.

I recently bought a 48 and traded my 19 gen 4 for a Gen 5 .

Now i have different guns to carry for differnt situations.

The smaller slimmer size makes a big difference in carrying every day.

User

Default First EDC - Glock 19 vs Glock 43X

Quote Originally Posted by doc911 View Post
    The Glock 19 obviously shoots better but you will carry the 43 easier.

The smaller slimmer size makes a big difference in carrying every day.
    I agree with the comments from Doc911 above.

By way if background, I EDC a G26 during the warmer months and a G19, Gen 4 for the other months.

While it is probably easier to conceal a G43/G48 (single stack Glock), I would caution one against simply believing that you will shoot the single stack gun as well (and as accurately) as the double stack Glocks.

In addition, the reduced magazine capacity is, IMHO, a serious trade off, especially in SA where the average number of attacker is around 3 (or more) individuals.

See extract from a Google search which supports my concerns:—

“You give up 1/3rd of your magazine capacity to save 0.16 inches of width.”

For this reason, I would recommend the double stack Glocks over the single stack ones (viz. better ability to shoot accurately with them and larger magazine capacity)..... perhaps just buy a better, custom made holster to conceal the FA better (there are many good kydex holster makers in SA).

Use it, don’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB_ZA View Post
    Howzit Gents.

This post is targeted at anyone who has either swapped from a Glock 19 to a Glock 43X or owns both, but any opinions would be much appreciated.

Looking at buying a pistol for EDC and have narrowed it down to the above (have spent range time with both and shoot them more or less the same). I'm a relatively small oke and would be looking at carrying it AIWB with a spare mag. I got an opportunity to test fit a Glock 19 in an AIWB holster and I am able to conceal but it is very dependent on what I wear. I haven't had the chance to do the same with a 43X and holster yet. This is where the 43X and my question come in - is there a noticeable enough difference in the width of the 43X that makes it more concealable* and would warrant choosing it over the Glock 19?

* I know concealability depends more on the grip length than the thickness but I am not a fan of shooting short grip guns such as the Glock 26.

Cheers
    Justin
    I have a 26 and a 19 and the 26 can be shot well even with the smaller grip, just put in some training with a good instructor.

Out of the 43x and 48, I would suggest the 48. Bit more weight for lower recoil, and the longer barrel stops the gun from tilting too much when carried.

One thing I would also suggest is considering a weapon mounted light. It's a useful tool for home defense, and you should be able to find a 48 rail model (possibly even in black).

The trend these days is toward the G48 and it's easy to see why as it's pretty much a single stack 19 with quite a few advantages :
    - Easier to conceal than the 19
    - 10 rounds which is still a workable capacity if you practice your reloads like you should
    - If you get the rail version then you have a rail for a small capable WML (Olight PL Mini 2, or that Glock/Surefire one that's taking forever to be launched) unlike the 26.
    - You can find some fantastic holsters for it like the Tenicor Velo which should make appendix carry easy with minimal printing.

Thank you for all the responses so far - much appreciated.

Just a few comments/queries:
    - I am definetely considering the Glock 48 and should have mentioned this in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Brownells will ship them
    - I have been looking at the Shield Arms S15 and I would definetly consider getting a few. Will look at Brownells

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    - If you get the rail version then you have a rail for a small capable WML (Olight PL Mini 2, or that Glock/Surefire one that's taking forever to be launched) unlike the 26.
    - Would the PL Mini 2 require a recover rail adapter or does it fit directly onto the Glock 43X/48 rail? I have tried googling this and can't seem to get any solid answer

Thanks again

- I have been looking at the Shield Arms S15 and I would definetly consider getting a few. Will look at Brownells

- Would the PL Mini 2 require a recover rail adapter or does it fit directly onto the Glock 43X/48 rail? I have tried googling this and can't seem to get any solid answer

Thanks again
    Bud, if you get some from Brownells, let me know. Tell me how the process goes. I would like to get some also.

Regarding the pl mini 2, I honestly have been trying to look for the same information. But I can't find anything either. But, I don't think it would fit. The gun is much narrower compared to the full size rails. So doesn't seem like it would. Can't be certain though.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

I read some posts and hen skipped to give my 2 cents. I have owned quite a number of Glocks. In that I have owned the 19 and 26 and 43 and now 43X

The 43X is markedly easier to carry appendix in relation to the 19 or even a 26 cause of it being substantially thinner and yes mm count in the real world. I prefer the shortened snout of the 43X as it is less prone to dig into my groin as the 19 or 48 longer slide would. I am not convinced that the extra inch would make such a huge difference to accuracy and with the selection of ammo the loss in FPS can be dealt with for the most part. I carry my 43X every day and have done so since shortly after they were sold locally. I find it is an exceptional gun choosing it over carrying my P365. I have sold my P365 and am waiting patiently for the P365 SAS to arrive so i can use that as a pocket carry option. I will look at the 15rd shield mags but would take 10 rounds of absolute reliability over 15 rounds of meh any day. They will have to prove them selves a damn sight more if I will rely on them to save my life. But in my opinion now the G43X with 10 rounds beats the G19 with 15 just because it Carries so nicely. I have a Garrity Leather Custom from the states and believe me the right holster makes your life much much easier as well. I had the 43 but just could never shoot it as well as I would like. I found I shoot the 43X to within a fraction the same as i would a 19 anyways. This is my perception. So for me it would be the 43X for the win. And you can take it from an owner who has shot the G23 and G27 and the G19 and G26 over many years. As well as having put a couple of hundred rounds through my 43X. It is my carry gun so i dont work it that hard, I shoot regularly to just keep my skills honed on that particular gun because it is my daily carry and will be for at least the next few years.

User

Ive shot, 42, 43, 43X, 48, 19, 17

I own the 19 and felt that the 48 shot the easiest by far. The distance between the trigger and the back strap is a tad bit too close to my liking and I dont have big hands but still it was extremely comfy and I shot it accurately with ease.

If I only had an option between 43X and 19 I would still choose the 19 due to the way they shot.

Im waiting for lockdown to finish as I want to test the P365XL which is very comparable to the 48 in size but with 12+1 in a flush mag.

EDIT:

My point being that concealment is very important but the performance of the 43X made me choose the 19. So your personal experience and preference will also have to weigh in when it comes to your decision.

Cheers

User

I had a look at the Glock website and the rail is a slim rail that only works with the 43x/48 Surefire WML that hasn't come out yet (similar to how the P365 has a rail for specialized lights too).
    Would still get the rail model anyway for when it does come out eventually.

I wouldn't use a Recover rail, just looks like another thing to worry about and that could negatively affect reliability.

As a lean guy I cannot carry and conceal a 19 with a level of comfort that is acceptable. The grip prints and the slide has bust a ball or two.The 43 far and away makes the most sense for anyone in a professional environment with tailored clothes. The 365 or even 365xl with the ability to experiment with grip frame sizes is the way of the future in my mind but I have neither shot nor tried one so just my thoughts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by VolderTort View Post
    How are you finding the 48? Much easier to conceal?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Ask Quiksilver_WP, he has one that he EDC's. Personally, I would go Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS. Everyone should have at least one compact, 9x19 pistol as a standard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast