Thread: Crow Gun

Question Crow Gun

Gents

I have been using a side by side both barrels fully choked for crows.

I do sometimes feel that a double is not the best selection for this type of shooting and I am now exploring pump action shotguns as an alternative.

There are some dilemmas:

I reload my shells, ie i do not know if they will cycle in a pump action. For instance if I take a factory round, shoot it, reload it, my shooting buddy cannot chamber that same round in his manufrance pump.

I do want a pump, and not a semi.

I have been on most all the websites and very little is available for a wingshooting pump action. Something that wont break the bank, and comes with some aftermarket support, and has adjustable chokes. (not a dork knob FFS)

Any reccommendations given will receive the silent admiration of the OP.

User

Default Re: Crow Gun

Stupid question - but why don't they chamber in his pump gun?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Stupid question - but why don't they chamber in his pump gun?
    I suspect they're 'fire formed' to the chamber and they're generally plastic or cardboard, so they're not going to hold their form well. Not sure if shells can be resized, but I doubt it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    I suspect they're 'fire formed' to the chamber and they're generally plastic or cardboard, so they're not going to hold their form well. Not sure if shells can be resized, but I doubt it.
    Shot shells have to be resized. I have used a metal ring forced over the shell's metal portion.

HI

So yes, i believe fire forming is the issue.

I can reload spent shells that his gun fired from new and it will then cycle in his gun, but not if it was fired in my gun.

You can get an MEC supersizer at abioiut 1.5k, the Lee metal ring really does nothing, how ever since they dont cycle in his gun, its his problem...

i am more looking for n pump gun for myself? anyone have info on what would be a good cost effective option?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Shot shells have to be resized. I have used a metal ring forced over the shell's metal portion.
    Makes sense, I've just never seen a 'die' that does it; having had a Lee Shotgun press myself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Juriew View Post
    HI

So yes, i believe fire forming is the issue.

I can reload spent shells that his gun fired from new and it will then cycle in his gun, but not if it was fired in my gun.

You can get an MEC supersizer at abioiut 1.5k, the Lee metal ring really does nothing, how ever since they dont cycle in his gun, its his problem...

i am more looking for n pump gun for myself? anyone have info on what would be a good cost effective option?
    Have a look at a Remington 870 Wingmaster, they are scarce; but they are available.

Have a look at a Remington 870 Wingmaster, they are scarce; but they are available.
    sounds like a good choice, know any one that stocks them? new? do they have interchangebale chokes?

User

Makes sense, I've just never seen a 'die' that does it; having had a Lee Shotgun press myself.
    I made my die for this purpose.

User

On the Lee Load All shotgun press, the steel ring sizes the metal (usually steel) base of the case (shotshell) if used correctly. The plastic part does not need sizing.

Other presses have different sizer setups.

Even if using your own cases in just 1 shotgun, I would still size them for smooth chambering in a pump action.

Pump actions with longer hunting barrels are not very prolific, but I'm sure you will find one with interchangeable chokes if you look around. I have seen a few.