Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Design for a large bottom pour lead pot

Hi guys

Has anyone built their own bottom pour lead pot?

I have a Lee 10lb model and it's ok, but it empties rather quickly. I'd like to use gas instead of electricity.

I'd love an RCBS, but I don't have the R6k for one, if you can even find them for sale.

So has anyone built a lead pouring pot before? Or am I chasing my tail?

User

Default Re: Design for a large bottom pour lead pot

I'm also interested to find out...

User

CH
    I have done severel. Original one was dodgy, but a lot of the problems were corrected in the later ones.
    Only went up to about 2 to 3 Kg lead though, so very small by your requirements.

User

See the plan is to shoot a bit more if I still have a full salary and if I can sell a few assets.

1000 124gr 9mm is approximately 8kg, so I'd like a pot that could take a hair over 10kg.

User

That rounds out to just over a litre capacity.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Hi guys

I have a Lee 10lb model and it's ok, but it empties rather quickly. I'd like to use gas instead of electricity.

I'd love an RCBS, but I don't have the R6k for one, if you can even find them for sale.

If you build one and want to get red of yours, remember me. (Just for incase)

Took an old black cast iron pot and melt my scrap lead in that on gas burner (pot about 15kg capacity). To make ingots use a large soup ladle and pour into cookie oven tray with 12 cups about one kilo per cup. Also feed my Lee pot directly from that whilst making ingots and casting bullets. Total cost to buy your wife one cookie cup tray and a cast iron pot, R500 max.
    M2c solution

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Hi guys

If you want an electric pot, the Lee Pro 20-4 is decent value for money. It takes up to 20 lb of pure lead, so say 16 lb (7,5 kg) of hard alloy, if not filled to the brim. That is good for about 950 124 gn 9mm's. Add an ingot or 2 while casting, and you can get 1000 bullets out per session.
    It has a 700W element, so there is enough heat to run a 6-cavity mould and throw the sprue back in.
    Parts are available locally. Keep a spare element in stock. My first one lasted for many thousands, but not forever.
    There are some complaints about the thermostat, but I have not had issues yet.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    If you want an electric pot, the Lee Pro 20-4 is decent value for money. It takes up to 20 lb of pure lead, so say 16 lb (7,5 kg) of hard alloy, if not filled to the brim. That is good for about 950 124 gn 9mm's. Add an ingot or 2 while casting, and you can get 1000 bullets out per session.
    It has a 700W element, so there is enough heat to run a 6-cavity mould and throw the sprue back in.
    Parts are available locally. Keep a spare element in stock. My first one lasted for many thousands, but not forever.
    There are some complaints about the thermostat, but I have not had issues yet.
    Very true but the lock down restrictions and sometimes for storage purposes my method perfect for me, have 20 and 10 pound Lee smelter and gas cast iron pots. Both over 20 years old and still going strong.

About 300kgs in ingots mostly as whilst doing bullet casting make ingots at same time for later use.

Never store the Lee pots empty my experience.
    Last edited by Theunsb; 01-05-2020 at 16:15. Reason: extra info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast