Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Design process of VNI R4/Galil upgrade kit

Are you going to be making these available for sale locally? I saw your post over on Uzitalk.

I would certainly be interested in one for my 6.

I have a spare gastube and a dustover just waiting for it.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    What material are you 3D printing out of?
    Is it rigid enough to be repeatable?
    I would need to ask the lab techs at VUT what material they use, but it isn't used like a clamp. It is more like a ruler combined with a protractor. The tool is only used to place the rail at the right angle. The shape of the rail itself places it on the correct spot on the fitment spot. I do acknowledge that 3D printed plastic shrinks over time and accordingly I'll make sure that the installers get them made in aluminum or some kind of metal that won't shrink.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Are you going to be making these available for sale locally? I saw your post over on Uzitalk.

I would certainly be interested in one for my 6.

I have a spare gastube and a dustover just waiting for it.
    It'll be available on the local market first. But yes, I can assure you it will look sexy AF on your rifle. I really wish I could show the pictures. Some components are stainless steel for practical reasons, but they're obscured when fitted. It gives the rail a distinctive look.

What kind of optic are you planning on using on it? As a rule of thumb - the rear rail has 12 slots - the same real estate as a flat top AR15, so you'll be able to gauge the look from there.

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    It'll be available on the local market first. But yes, I can assure you it will look sexy AF on your rifle. I really wish I could show the pictures. Some components are stainless steel for practical reasons, but they're obscured when fitted. It gives the rail a distinctive look.What kind of optic are you planning on using on it? As a rule of thumb - the rear rail has 12 slots - the same real estate as a flat top AR15, so you'll be able to gauge the look from there.
    I run an aim point h1. It's mounted on a Midwest industries handguard at the moment, but I'm looking to trim weight.
    Havamal

User

A box of custom-made screws with some precise measurements. I paid enough for these to wanting to force the rest of the world to look at them. Innovation is not cheap.

But yes, I am very excited to receive them. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I am waiting with great anticipation for this to go to market. Have been looking at rail systems for my Galil for the past few years, but nothing seems to really impress as it either adds a lot of weight, doesn't hold zero, needs to clamp down on the barrel or requires being bolted to the side. Yes I could get another gun, but don't trust anything else...

Sureshot Armament Group has a possible alternative, but getting that into the country will be a challenge.

Thanks for your posts, glad to see some local innovation.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by VTTR View Post
    I am waiting with great anticipation for this to go to market. Have been looking at rail systems for my Galil for the past few years, but nothing seems to really impress as it either adds a lot of weight, doesn't hold zero, needs to clamp down on the barrel or requires being bolted to the side. Yes I could get another gun, but don't trust anything else...

Sureshot Armament Group has a possible alternative, but getting that into the country will be a challenge.

Thanks for your posts, glad to see some local innovation.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    The biggest reason for the difference in designs is usually the teams' backgrounds. We focus specifically on logistics. Two examples of small possible problems we found and addressed during testing:

1. Of the rail fitted to the dustcover, none of it portrudes past the edges. Reason? That's the part a soldier is most likely to drop during disassembly. With a heavy optic fitted, if it hit concrete, you could damage the rail. So we recessed it and moved the attachment mechanism over to the gas tube. We also upgraded it to steel. Even if damaged, you can swop it out.

2. We only use flathead screws with a 0.8mm width. That means that if you need to swop anything out, you can use the rim of a 5.56 casing. An unlikely scenario, but we assume bullet casings are more available than allen keys on the battlefield.

User

Got these pictures a few minutes ago - a work in progress, but the milling of the rails is almost complete. These are all made from solid billet. Much more expensive than casting and really not required, but you can't beat the look.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I run an aim point h1. It's mounted on a Midwest industries handguard at the moment, but I'm looking to trim weight.
    I forgot to mention that if weight is the ultimate concern, there is an option where we can reduce the weight to just over 100 grams. That's if you install just the front rail or just the rear rail with a modified fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    I forgot to mention that if weight is the ultimate concern, there is an option where we can reduce the weight to just over 100 grams. That's if you install just the front rail or just the rear rail with a modified fixture.
    Sweet. Sounds good.

I'd be keen to check out the front rail.
    Havamal

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast