Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Design process of VNI R4/Galil upgrade kit

Does the bolt handle need to be bent to accent the rail?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Following this thread very closely! Have been looking for something like this for a while for my Galil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Does the bolt handle need to be bent to accent the rail?
    We're sourcing brand new bolt carriers with horizontal charging handles. Its much less of a headache for everyone involved.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    We're sourcing brand new bolt carriers with horizontal charging handles. Its much less of a headache for everyone involved.
    Ah good news
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

And here are some of the completed rails. We're still waiting for other parts to be completed, but we should have them stocked an available for shipment in the next 4-6 weeks hopefully.

User

I'm not sure if mentioned before, but the rear rails have a small 1.5mm x 1.5mm notch cut across the top all the way through. We're also working on a version that will fit Type 56s or any AK version that has a flat dustcover without reinforcement ribs (just buy another dustcover if you do). You'll be able to fit the same rail to it, though the bracket will attach to your rear sight instead of the gas tube.

That notch will serve as your backup sight on the AK. LM sights obviously sit higher than the rail.

User

As an update the rail kits *should* be available in 3-4 weeks' time. As an update with my previous posts regarding accessories, I've completed the handguard design on paper. Next I will need to build a physical model to check fitment with the most appropriate tools...

...believe it or not, this is a good proxy for sheet metal and even if you understandably scoff at this, it is a lot cheaper than 3D printing. With the concept down the CAD files come into play and thereafter the actual components get built with testing and tweaking followed thereafter. This whole process will likely take another year or so.

User

Good evening everyone, as an update I can confirm that we've received most of the rail components, including the rails themselves. We are still waiting for two components from the factories before we can put them up for sale. These were meant to be sent last week, however there has been a delay and unfortunately I can only ask you again to give us a bit more time.

I have taken the below picture, showing what the same sight would look like fitted to a Type 56. A different attachment mechanism to that of the LM would replace your rear leaf sight and the rail itself has a slot cut out across the full length - 1.5mm x 1.5mm - to serve as your fixed backup sight. The benefit of this is that it sits low enough so that if you fit an optic, you would still be able to keep a cheek weld. Much lower than most other AK rail kits available.

User

Here's a picture of some special custom-made washers that arrived this afternoon...

Only one more type of component that needs to arrive. That should hopefully be any day now.

User

FINALLY.

All the kit components have arrived. I've checked and all parts fit perfectly. I'll have a production set installed on my personal rifle to replace the prototype fitted last year in the coming weeks to give some decent pictures and show off the accuracy. I also still need to record an installation tutorial.

Weight confirmed as 252 grams for the R4 version. Obviously the R5 version will be a bit lighter.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast