Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Design process of VNI R4/Galil upgrade kit

Ok, so I went shooting last weekend and everything went well. Only problem I experienced was zeroing a Nikko Sterling scope that was fitted to an FX airgun previously, using a faulty bore sight.

I also need to add that I only realized I left my magazine bag in the safe when I started unpacking at the range. So all of these were single shots. Which sucked. But the trade-off was that I could lean into my shooting bag more effectively.

Rifle is a Vektor production LM5 with a 1:9 twist.

This is the scope fitted to the rifle. Nikko Sterling.

Grouping at 50m with handloaded Hornady V-max rounds. Under an inch.

Grouping at 100m with purchased PMP 55gr FMJBT. Two sets of 5 rounds, aimed at different targets. 3.5" grouping on 1st set, 3" grouping on 2nd. The dust cover was removed and replaced between the two sets. This was done to prove that the zero would remain the same after disassembly. I was shocked at the difference in performance regarding the groupings. I was always under the impression that boat tail projectiles would be more accurate than flat base rounds, but experience has proven otherwise.

I'll upload a video soon.

-W

User

Here is a tutorial video on how it works. I've relisted the ad on Gunafrica. I do have installers who I can refer to for about R1000 per installation.

User

Good work on this! Best of luck with it's commercialization.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Good work on this! Best of luck with it's commercialization.
    Thank you. I'm hoping to encounter these on the range in the near future :D

User

Here's a picture of an installation for a client. He requested the front rail be angled to prevent a sharp edge and I have to admit it, the look is a good one. It will likely be completed beginning next week. If look carefully, you can see the hot glue holding the rail in place. It is to hold it in place to check if it is centered correctly and before putting it in a vise and clamping it down for welding.

We're trying to get this batch sold off to get the next order placed for the AK versions, so if you know someone who might be interested, please let me know.

User

The kit installed. The welds are now on in the inside and the gas tube & dust cover were recoated.

User

Doing the parkerizing myself now. Did a few sets yesterday. A lot of prep, but I'm happy with the results. Hopefully the clients will be as well.

The carrier with the modified charging handle was not modified by me. As received from a client. A bit oversized for my preference, but it is very easy to reach.

User

After completing a larger order last week, I thought it appropriate to give a bit more detail on the installation process. I'm going to post a video in the near future, but here's a few pictures explaining the process.

First we drill holes into the gas tube rail. This is so all welds are in the inside of the bracket. Looks a lot neater this way.

Next we sand down the sections to which the brackets are going to be welded. Both sides of the dust cover, as it will be spot welded.

Then we set the parts to be level with the receiver and clamp them in place.

From here the parts are removed and the actual welding takes place - TIG welding for the gas tube with the aforementioned holes and spot welding for the dust cover. I place a rolled up copper sheet on the inside of the gas tube to absorb excess heat and prevent any bumps on the inside of the gas tube - an annoying lesson learnt.

After this any burrs need to be removed. As with the sanding, I have a rotary tool that's just plain amazing for this.

With that the parts are sandblasted and parkerized. After the parts have been in the solution, we drench them with oil - lanolin or Q20 - for at least 12 hours.

Then finally, we assemble the parts.

The final product:

And the shorter version, as fitted to the LM5

Dis nou toevallig!
    I was just looking at this thread earlier today as my LM4 was approved about 2 weeks ago. Purchased a Barska RedDot on a Whatsapp group for an absolute bargain! Now for the mounting. I allready have 2 Modified Dust Covers but from what I read it's not the best option for mounting optics. And I have a Canted Charging handle also ready to go. I'll make contact with you in the week. Just need to source a gastube. Don't want to mod the original.

Regards
    Frans

User

Quote Originally Posted by SakoHunter View Post
    Dis nou toevallig!
    I was just looking at this thread earlier today as my LM4 was approved about 2 weeks ago. Purchased a Barska RedDot on a Whatsapp group for an absolute bargain! Now for the mounting. I allready have 2 Modified Dust Covers but from what I read it's not the best option for mounting optics. And I have a Canted Charging handle also ready to go. I'll make contact with you in the week. Just need to source a gastube. Don't want to mod the original.

Regards
    Frans
    If offered the choice, obtain an older part. As long as it's not pitted, the parts look really good after the sandblast and surface treatment. I feel somewhat guilty when sanding a brand new part.

Also not to insult the paint suppliers of Galil or LM parts, but when that dust from the sanding gets in the back of your throat every now and then, it leaves an aftertaste of a really cheap curry.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast