Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Cheap decent handguns

Good day everyone,

Just wondering if there are any decent brand of handguns which are 'relatively' cheap brand new. I am looking at a price of around R 5000.

I am considering it as a second gun, actually 3rd just because I wanna fill the safe. I have been searching the web, it seems in South Africa there's your good brands priced between R8000-R12000, Gen 3 Glocks are even slightly less.

Then there are the not so 'good' mostly unknown brands around R7000-R9000.
    What's going on in South Africa? SMH....even second hand guns go for over R5k.

Even Taurus and Turkish guns costs in the region of R8k maybe slightly less, just doesn't make any sense, these guns sell at half the price of your known brands aka, Glock, CZ, Beretta, Smith & Wesson etc, in the US. These guns have got absolutely no advantage in comparison to the known brands, price being their main selling point which they obviously don't seem to have in South Africa.

Why do importers/dealers even bother bringing these into the country if they cost so much??

Maybe they just think we're stupid idk.

User

Default Re: Cheap decent handguns

Short answer: None

the 2nd hand gun market is relative, things like finish wear, sights etc etc all affect the price.

User

I can think of a few brands/models that are not bad and are often sold brand new for less than 7k.

S&W SDVE 9mm at Safari for R6 995.00
    Girsan MC-28 SA usually sells for about R6 500.00 - R6 800.00

Other than that there's not much else.

Stay away from Taurus and Sccy pistols.

Even in the secondhand market it will take you a while to find something good at that price point.

If your budget is tight, then I definitely recommend you stick to secondhand and be prepared to wait for a good buy, but they are out there. Also look into heavier pistols in .45, these cheaper as they are not very popular for EDC.

User

second hand rollie is the answer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JIV View Post

Just wondering if there are any decent brand of handguns which are 'relatively' cheap brand new. I am looking at a price of around R 5000.
    You should be able to get a used CZ75 for R5000.

Quote Originally Posted by JIV View Post

What's going on in South Africa? SMH....even second hand guns go for over R5k.
    Yes, it has to do with the small market and licensing.

Guns are expensive to start with. So, I latch onto mine and sell it for enough to help pay for the next one.

In the US, second hand goods are cheap because they pay in dollars and second hand goods are available.

Have a look at whats on offer at next weeks classic arms auction. I suspect with the horrific economy there may be bargains to be had. Make sure you are familiar with whatever you bid on and dont forget the commission!!!
    www.classicarms.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by hickok69 View Post
    Short answer: None

the 2nd hand gun market is relative, things like finish wear, sights etc etc all affect the price.
    Eish

Some 2nd hands going for almost as much as new ones. Perhaps they overpaid when they bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
    I can think of a few brands/models that are not bad and are often sold brand new for less than 7k.

S&W SDVE 9mm at Safari for R6 995.00
    Girsan MC-28 SA usually sells for about R6 500.00 - R6 800.00

Other than that there's not much else.

Stay away from Taurus and Sccy pistols.
    Those are quite decent, I feel the Girsan however should be priced a bit lower. If I think about it R6800 for a Girsan another R2k gets me a CZ P07. It's a no brainer to buy the CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    Even in the secondhand market it will take you a while to find something good at that price point.

If your budget is tight, then I definitely recommend you stick to secondhand and be prepared to wait for a good buy, but they are out there. Also look into heavier pistols in .45, these cheaper as they are not very popular for EDC.
    I dont really have a budget issue, just cant justify spending the kind of money on an occasional plinker. I remember in the 90's the lesser brands were priced quite a bit less than your well known brands yet they were decent. Think Star,Astra,Llama,Feg. I guess times have changed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast