Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Looking at an AR

Hi All,

So i'm looking for an AR to mostly do some range shooting and varmint control. Not going to shoot thousands of rounds a month or even a year but don't want to buy something that is going to cost me more down the road. Both in basic upgrades and repairs.

My budget for the gun is about 20k but could probably be swayed if all is right...

If was also looking at second hand but see that the price doesn't justify the unknown of really how many 100's of rounds were shot when they all say less than 100 rounds.

I'm not well versed in this but have done a fair bit of research before this and understand that locally I could look at any of these options:

* S&W M&P 15 Sport II 16" - R19k
    * Musgrave Tactical 16" - R20k
    * DM4 Billet Grade 16" - R21k ( I know some of the earlier models gave a lot of issues but have heard this has "all" been resolved now, in all honesty I would have already bought a custom DM4 DSG put up in the lockdown but without seeing it and my limited knowledge it would have been too much of a gamble. Was a beaut though! ) https://www.facebook.com/22639811741...519565341/?d=n

I like the free floating rails on the Musgrave and DM4 with picatinny rails
    My understanding is that all these are 5.56 chambered and can thus shoot both unlike the other way around.
    They all seem to have better than "stock" stocks
    further than that I would love to hear what else should be considered and/or if i'm missing another competitor?

I'm hoping to add a relative quality scope 4-5k, silencer + bi-pod. Not sure much else would be "needed" for the purpose, yet... Might add some more nice to haves later
    Thanx in advance for the input.

User

Default Re: Looking at an AR

Check our the lockdown bargains thread.
    Spartan are running a special on a s&w which has some nice upgrades for 20k.

User

Jip, contact Spartan Arms and ask what they have for sale. They have a variety and really good specials now.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So chatted to SAI. The S&W on special is OOS.
    But they made a very good argument for the DPMS, for someone looking at the rifles i'm considering.

Also put together a very nice "all I need package" for 25k.
    DPMS.jpg

I seem to not find too much other than it is a budget rifle in the threads. No horrific Dm4 stories.
    Have also heard some stories about the Musgrave now. Anyone have experience on that?

User

I wouldnt hesitate to buy the DM4. Not only supporting local but backup and service.

My mate has built a beautiful 14.5" DM4 with laser and sights and this and that for around 30K but im sure half of his accessories are overkill and admittedly so purely built for looks as a toy.

User

Tman21, do you own a DM4? How many rounds have your buddy fired through his and is it running ok?

From reading the reports on this forum it seems like the DM4 has been plagued with problems but you also hear the good stories of people saying their rifles run fine.

For the money the imported options does not sound terrible ... DPMS Oracle, M&P Sport 2 and Windham are all less than a DM4 or Musgrave so my question is are the local offerings better?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Tman21, do you own a DM4? How many rounds have your buddy fired through his and is it running ok?

From reading the reports on this forum it seems like the DM4 has been plagued with problems but you also hear the good stories of people saying their rifles run fine.

For the money the imported options does not sound terrible ... DPMS Oracle, M&P Sport 2 and Windham are all less than a DM4 or Musgrave so my question is are the local offerings better?

What kind of problems? That would be disappointing.

User

Perhaps my wording is off but do a quick search on gunsite ...

User

This is probably not a popular opinion - but that's seemingly never stopped anyone from posting anyway.

If you're looking for a budget AR and you're not too fussed about the frills, I would seriously suggest that you look into the Norinco CQA. If you channel your inner Martha Stewart, for R20k you could get yourself a CQA kitted with some decent furniture and walk out with a couple coins still jingling around in your pocket.

It's a no-nonsense workhorse that's been used and abused as the range rental at a number of the busier indoor ranges here in Jhb.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    This is probably not a popular opinion - but that's seemingly never stopped anyone from posting anyway.

If you're looking for a budget AR and you're not too fussed about the frills, I would seriously suggest that you look into the Norinco CQA. If you channel your inner Martha Stewart, for R20k you could get yourself a CQA kitted with some decent furniture and walk out with a couple coins still jingling around in your pocket.

It's a no-nonsense workhorse that's been used and abused as the range rental at a number of the busier indoor ranges here in Jhb.
    Not a bad option, only question is are they currently available?

Probably a couple of grand less than the DPMS.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast