Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Looking at an AR

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Perhaps my wording is off but do a quick search on gunsite ...
    The DM4 is the rifle with by far the most problems listed on forums but seems like most of them are from purchases pre-2019. (Would love if some later OWNERS can attest to this)

Not a bad option, only question is are they currently available?

Probably a couple of grand less than the DPMS.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Haven't seen any though I haven't specifically looked for them and with DPMS going for as little as R13k at the moment I doubt that a new shipment at new R/$ rates will be much of a difference.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tman21 View Post
    I wouldnt hesitate to buy the DM4. Not only supporting local but backup and service.

My mate has built a beautiful 14.5" DM4 with laser and sights and this and that for around 30K but im sure half of his accessories are overkill and admittedly so purely built for looks as a toy.

I would give the DM4 a miss, if the build quality hasn't improved. A good friend of mine had a 10.5" DM4, he had non-stop issues with his and his was for serious use as a responding security officer for high risk ops. He eventually sold his and replaced it.

Personally, I would look at either an Aero Precision AR or a Troy SPC rifle all of which will be in your price bracket.

User

Who sells the Troy rifles?

User

Tman21, do you own a DM4? How many rounds have your buddy fired through his and is it running ok?

From reading the reports on this forum it seems like the DM4 has been plagued with problems but you also hear the good stories of people saying their rifles run fine.

For the money the imported options does not sound terrible ... DPMS Oracle, M&P Sport 2 and Windham are all less than a DM4 or Musgrave so my question is are the local offerings better?

Unfortunately cannot comment on that, round counts are still in the hundreds as its still at the range awaiting his license.

User

Is the DPMS any good? Saw one for 14 K and its almost like I want to need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been reading some old DM4 threads and it seems the DM4 wasn't built to shoot 5.56x45 NATO surplus?!
    Is this true? If so, it seems like a daft thing to do, limiting your firearm like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    This is probably not a popular opinion - but that's seemingly never stopped anyone from posting anyway.

If you're looking for a budget AR and you're not too fussed about the frills, I would seriously suggest that you look into the Norinco CQA. If you channel your inner Martha Stewart, for R20k you could get yourself a CQA kitted with some decent furniture and walk out with a couple coins still jingling around in your pocket.

It's a no-nonsense workhorse that's been used and abused as the range rental at a number of the busier indoor ranges here in Jhb.
    The humansdorp co-op had the Dpms for around 11k a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    This is probably not a popular opinion - but that's seemingly never stopped anyone from posting anyway.

If you're looking for a budget AR and you're not too fussed about the frills, I would seriously suggest that you look into the Norinco CQA. If you channel your inner Martha Stewart, for R20k you could get yourself a CQA kitted with some decent furniture and walk out with a couple coins still jingling around in your pocket.

It's a no-nonsense workhorse that's been used and abused as the range rental at a number of the busier indoor ranges here in Jhb.
    Check this video, the guy says it is good for 10 000 - 12 000 rounds. Not sure if they correctly diagnosed the problem but it seems that way. Not saying anything, just an interesting video.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Check this video, the guy says it is good for 10 000 - 12 000 rounds. Not sure if they correctly diagnosed the problem but it seems that way. Not saying anything, just an interesting video.

To put that in perspective my original M&P15 Sport 1, has see just over 15k rounds now. With good ammunition at 100m I was able to shoot groups of just at 1 moa from a bench. The gun will now only shoot a 3ish moa group with the same ammunition (same batch, etc that I have stored), and with my reloads using older Frontier bullets it is doing 4ish moa, with Hornady bullets around 3-3.5ish moa.

NSW CRANE released a report when originally testing the M4 and the CQB (I think is the correct term, the 10.5) and it said that accuracy drop off was to be expected from 10k rounds, and a maximum usable life of 20 - 25k rounds was to be expected.

I can't remember the exact figures of what was determined to be an acceptable usable accuracy standard from the guns though.

How many people have we really heard of in SA who are Sport Shooters that can say they have even put 10k rounds through their 5.56 rifles? There can't be a huge number.

I'm actually looking to rebarrel my Sport 1 in the near future as although it has taken me 6 years to shoot that amount of rounds, it was really only in the first 3, and I have slowed down a ton since then. A new barrel will last me many more years.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast