Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
I don't like hunting videos. Maybe because I hunt a lot or maybe because I have been present quite often where hunting and wildlife type videos were made. This included a hunt (if you can call tracking down and killing a cat habituated to humans, hunting) for a pair of escaped Bengal tigers in an overgrown canyon in, of all places, the Southern Free State, in the company of a much celebrated South African wildlife film maker.

The problem I have with wildlife/hunting videos is that they rarely show the truth. Along the way there had been so much editing and acting that, even having been there, you often struggle to relate the on screen happenings to the actual experience.

The one exception for me has always been an advert for Blaser rifles shot on a buffalo hunt in South Africa and while I am sure that there was a lot of acting and editing, I do think that it did capture the essence of hunting, real hunting.

This afternoon I watched an episode of Meat Eater, it was about a 10 day hunt for Alaskan moose. While I do not want to spoil the story for you, Steve Rinella and his, very experienced, guide never fired a shot, never even saw a moose. Despite this I really enjoyed the show, because of many reasons, one of them the harsh beauty of Alaska, but mostly because it shows that a hunter can occasionally enjoy hunting without killing. There were no hysterical high fives, no exclamations of "great shot, great shot", just two hunters in the middle of nowhere, hunting.
I think it was the show he talked about his dad. I really enjoyed it also. If I recall correctly there was no background music on purpose when he spoke about his dad.

Steve Rinella has changed my idea on a lot things related to hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk