Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: 9.3 X 70 Mauser caliber hunting rifle build

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Gert I'm looking at this, and apart from the obvious questions regarding dies and brass, I'm more wondering... What action are you going to use, given the base diameter of what I gather will be a 12mm base? Reuse a old action or new action? Secondly, are you doing it for historical purposes or for a certain energy requirement at target?
    pblaau, thank you kindly for the question, I really enjoy it immensely when members show interest in such rifle builds... pblaau, I consider myself a having a lack of discipline when it comes to focus on one thing only like being a collector...I find now that focusing on interesting/unknown obsolete caliber with great history behind it is making more sense to bring them alive and shoot them..I have a good friend in Johan Greyling who is a great gunsmith and always assist me in these endeavours...I think after the 9.3 x 70 and the .338 Imperial Magnum the next build will be a technical build that will test a person`technical /mechanical skills real good..a build of the .450 Nitro Express nr 2 Westley/Richards side x side double rifle...I will build it on a CZ Poldi 16 bore side by side action...

For the 9.3 x 70 caliber I now am on the lookout for a CZ ZZK602 donor action..it will make it an easier build and not really much work on making it feed flawlessly...the .338 Imperial Magnum I will be looking at a RSA action with a magazine box..not single feed action...it will give more accuracy due to the strong action design..If any member has some of these items lying around I really would like to hear from you to see if I can purchase these items...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Sometimes we are lucky ...
    When was this -- thirty years ago ?
    What was the reason for the sale ?

I rather suspect that when we get out of -- take a holiday and see what it was like in the USSR -- someone might sell you one for R5,000.00
    I always wanted a rifle ..after the army days I a rifle was not something I had need for ..so I bought a bow, Bowtech Allegiance and hunt with it...as time passes I noticed that a lot of the bow hunts turned out to be "dry hunts" meaning the animal I want to hunt does not pitch up at the blind...so I had to go without meat while still enjoying the nature around me when hunting with my bow...I then later saw the need to incorporate rifle hunting alongside my bow hunting...at that stage I always were reading books about the Kruger National Park`s Game rangers...Harry Wolhuter `s history, Ampie Esbagch , Louis Olivier, Bruce Bryden , Cleve Cheney especially where they wrote about how they were initiated into the practice of the need to be proficient with their rifles when acting as Trail rangers, taking people on long hikes through dangerous game country...Cleve Cheney had to face two elephant bulls that day to be able to qualify for being a Trail ranger..the elephant bull was driven towards Cleve and Senior Game ranger Henk Ackerman..(stand to be corrected) Cleve / trainees was only allowed to shoot his first shot when the elephant bull was fifteen paces from them ,now charging them since he has to vent his anger on someone due to the helicopter driven him towards two people ...if a trainee ranger was not able to kill the elephant with one frontal shot he did not qualify to be a Trail ranger ..it was these stories and mentioning of rifle calibers used in Africa that add to my idea of try to get the 404 Jeffery as a hunting rifle ...I send an email to John Coleman(Sir) asking him to see if he can get in contact with his hunting friends from the earlier years...he did , a week later Mike White phoned me to offer me the 404 Jeffery for R10000 , I immediately bought this great piece of history and great rifle in a great caliber from him, (2014)today it is my favorite amongst all favorites... now I am focusing on reviving the old obsolete calibers of yester -year ...I just love the old calibers..

User

Gert, considering the fairly unknown territory, might it not be better to go with a new action and obviously new barrel? I did a hasty search and could not find any SAAMI specifications for it.

User

pblaauw , I need to buy all the components for re-loading as well as the reamer that will be made up according to the specifications of the drawing I got from Wim of Belgium...action I probably will source a second hand rifle with a ZZK 602 action...new actions in this category is just too expensive...we are talking about Granite-mountain or Dakota magnum actions..with our weak Rand it is just too expensive ..I will have to apply for a change to the caliber at SAPS...I think would take some time but it is possible..I have time on my side...I am currently applying for a permit /competency to build a fire-arm from scratch..will see if I can get this competency...there are a lot of procedures to follow as well as regulations/laws/ when commencing with such a project...everything needs to be well documented to be submit to SAPS fire arms unit/department...The re-loading of this ancient /obsolete caliber will be to make use of the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke as a start...fortunately we have Brenneke as a member here that would assist me through out this whole endeavor ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    The re-loading of this ancient /obsolete caliber will be to make use of the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke as a start...fortunately we have Brenneke as a member here that would assist me through out this whole endeavor ...
    I am touched -- but I am not sure I am worthy of such an honour ...

I will suggest that perhaps you look at a reworked Enfield Pattern 14 for an action -- it is what some of those British gunmakers used for their -- African "Magnums"

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...1431073791/p/1

Several of my DG caliber rifles are built on P14 Enfield actions. I believe British gunmakers also used this action when commercial Mausers were unavailable. I find them to be among the slickest working actions available, not excepting Model 70 Winchesters and the highly prized Mannlicher Schoenauers. I have killed elephant, buffalo and rhino with one of them.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...sl/print_topic

or
    As my buddy suggests a Remington Model 30 Express

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/02/24...r-custom-rifle

Now you have some options .....

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 9.3 X 70 Mauser caliber hunting rifle build

Here you go ....

On auction for US400.00 -- NO reserve
    ends 22-05-2020

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868082913

User

Years ago I bought a P14 rifle in original military condition, motivated by looking at medium and big bore rifles built on this action, with the idea of using the action to build a .375 H&H. My plan came to an abrupt end when I started getting quotes for the build. Turns out that I could buy a BRNO .375 H&H for a lot less than converting the P14 action and turning it into a decent .375.

So, if money is of no concern, go ahead and build on a P14 action it makes for a lovely rifle. However, if you do suffer under fiscal restraints it might be a lot more affordable to buy a BRNO ZKK602 and have it re-barreled to your newest fantasy caliber.

User

Gentleman, I am extremely fortunate to have a good friend and great, great gunsmith second to none Johan Greyling of JS Gunsmiths who is an expert of taking the Pattern 14 or Pattern 17 action, fit it into his lathe and turn the action down until you can barely notice the differences between a Mauser and this turned down Pattern 14 or 17 action.it will cost me not more than a few Rands to get hold of a Pattern14/17....so if I can not manage to get hold of a ZZK 602 action..my alternative will be a custom made Pattern 14/17...I will order a Brux , or Shilen, or PAC -NOR barrel for the project...

TStone, Brenneke I was wondering about the rifling twist for this 9.3 x 70 cal..it will probably be the same as te 9.3 x 64 or 62 caliber???

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    I am touched -- but I am not sure I am worthy of such an honour ...

I will suggest that perhaps you look at a reworked Enfield Pattern 14 for an action -- it is what some of those British gunmakers used for their -- African "Magnums"

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...1431073791/p/1

Several of my DG caliber rifles are built on P14 Enfield actions. I believe British gunmakers also used this action when commercial Mausers were unavailable. I find them to be among the slickest working actions available, not excepting Model 70 Winchesters and the highly prized Mannlicher Schoenauers. I have killed elephant, buffalo and rhino with one of them.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...sl/print_topic

or
    As my buddy suggests a Remington Model 30 Express

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/02/24...r-custom-rifle

Now you have some options .....
    Thank you Brenneke

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3