Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 9.3 X 70 Mauser caliber hunting rifle build

DWM in Germany made rifles in 9.3x70 but after WW2 the company and caliber died out.

User

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    DWM in Germany made rifles in 9.3x70 but after WW2 the company and caliber died out.
    The only documented evidence I an able to find to support your statement / not "DWM in Germany made rifles in 9.3 x 70 caliber " is the 9.3 x 70 caliber made by Gunsmith from Berlin , Mr. Schiwy for Herman Goeirng , it seems that was the only rifle made in this caliber ..a once off made rifle... the other 9.3 x 70 rim rifles were the drillings rifles made by DWM , the rifles made in this caliber in later years after the wars was made by Harald Wulf /Wim Degol fro Belguim...if you would be so kind as to see if you can get hold of another owner of this caliber I really would be great-full..even a owner of a Drilling combination rifle in this caliber ..getting his contact details will be great...although it will be a rimmed version of this caliber ...

Banned

Arrow Re: 9.3 X 70 Mauser caliber hunting rifle build

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    G
    The only rifle made in this caliber was made for the German Natzi Secrete Police leader , Herman Goering , who were spearheading the killings of thousands of Jewish people ....this rifle is in a Museum in Germany today...
    Gert
    I think you have your history a bit mixed up

Herman Goering was the head of the LUFTWAFFE
    He was a WWI flying ace
    There is a connection to German South West Africa -- as well as to airships ( his father )
    He did indeed create the Prussian Secret Police and later the Gestapo not sure Goering himself was involved in -- spearheading the killings of thousands of Jewish people

Joseph Goebbels was the information ( propaganda minster ) -- he was one of the few well educated Nazi's ( had a PhD Doctor of Phillology )

Heinrich Himmler was head of the SS

All in here -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestapo

Good luck with resurrecting ancient old cartridges ...

The 404 Jeffery and the 416 Rigby are still going strong ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Gert
    I think you have your history a bit mixed up

Herman Goering was the head of the LUFTWAFFE
    He was a WWI flying ace
    There is a connection to German South West Africa -- as well as to airships ( his father )
    He did indeed create the Prussian Secret Police and later the Gestapo not sure Goering himself was involved in -- spearheading the killings of thousands of Jewish people

Joseph Goebbels was the information ( propaganda minster ) -- he was one of the few well educated Nazi's ( had a PhD Doctor of Phillology )

Heinrich Himmler was head of the SS

All in here -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestapo

Good luck with resurrecting ancient old cartridges ...

The 404 Jeffery and the 416 Rigby are still going strong ...
    Brenneke, thank you for rectifying the part about Herman Goering...he was an avid hunter and Suhl Rifle company build him a gold plated double rifle as well..I saw some photos of this double rifle on an auction recently...yes, that part of the German History was a real dark side ...many people died in that war ...only to find out no-one is winning in a war , there are only loosing people..I would wager a Impala hunt on the fact that the 404 Jeffery is ahead on popularity and numbers of hunters buying the 404 Jeffery recently are growing...

Banned

The 404 Jeffery was a name I memorized from my youth and a time of devouring books, so many of the old hunting books from the 50ties/60ties mention the 404, usually preceded or followed with words of endearment regarding the rifle in this caliber.
    The 404 is likely the only other rifle I will still be tempted to buy, but it will have to be a old gun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The 404 Jeffery was a name I memorized from my youth and a time of devouring books, so many of the old hunting books from the 50ties/60ties mention the 404, usually preceded or followed with words of endearment regarding the rifle in this caliber.
    The 404 is likely the only other rifle I will still be tempted to buy, but it will have to be a old gun.
    The "problem" with having a rifle like this is ... that you then have to find SOMETHING to shoot using it !
    How many Buffalo a year can you afford ?
    I am sure you can shoot a Kudu / Eland / Wildebeest -- but -- where is the "fun" in that ?

The other "problem" is that the old guns are STILL expensive -- even the "poor-mans" versions
    The new guns are built to a standard -- of the dream of the old African safari using the best H&H / Rigby / Jeffery / Purdey / Boss&Co rifles
    Better start saving up -- anything up to R50,000.00 or more

Now someone will come along and tell us they bought an old one for R1,000.00 ....

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Treeman, yes, since I read the books as a child about hunters , ivory hunters ...the 404 Jeffery stand out as the greatest rifle from those times..I just had to have one..fortunately I was able to get hold of one made in 1931..with a great history behind it...And here the someone is coming along to tell you I bought mine for a small amount of R10000..

User

Gert I'm looking at this, and apart from the obvious questions regarding dies and brass, I'm more wondering... What action are you going to use, given the base diameter of what I gather will be a 12mm base? Reuse a old action or new action? Secondly, are you doing it for historical purposes or for a certain energy requirement at target?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Treeman, yes, since I read the books as a child about hunters , ivory hunters ...the 404 Jeffery stand out as the greatest rifle from those times..I just had to have one..fortunately I was able to get hold of one made in 1931..with a great history behind it...And here the someone is coming along to tell you I bought mine for a small amount of R10000..
    Sometimes we are lucky ...
    When was this -- thirty years ago ?
    What was the reason for the sale ?

I rather suspect that when we get out of -- take a holiday and see what it was like in the USSR -- someone might sell you one for R5,000.00

Banned

Talking Re: 9.3 X 70 Mauser caliber hunting rifle build

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Gert I'm looking at this, and apart from the obvious questions regarding dies and brass, I'm more wondering... What action are you going to use, given the base diameter of what I gather will be a 12mm base? Reuse a old action or new action? Secondly, are you doing it for historical purposes or for a certain energy requirement at target?
    Because it is big and dangerous and exciting and unusual -- and he can
    Like the August Schuler 6.5x68S and 8x68S
    Sort of like the guy that does not want a BMW or a Mercedes -- but a Maybach !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast