Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default History of the venerable 404 Jeffery: Research notes from Von Gruff

Good day to all members, here is a link to information accumulated by a good friend of mine on the African Hunting .com forum..Von Gruff build a 404 Jeffery for himself , it was a great shooting/looking rifle in the 404 Caliber ..
    Beforehand he really did a great deal of research on the 404 Jeffery caliber`s history..and so gathered a lot of interesting information ..
    I really think members with a interest in the 404 Jeffery caliber rifle maybe for a future purchase or build would enjoy this info

https://www.africahunting.com/thread...rmation.56662/

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: History of the venerable 404 Jeffery: Research notes from Von Gruff

One day when I’m big in want a 404
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    One day when I’m big in want a 404
    Cordite Crazy, no need to wait..you can learn to shoot it by re-loading it with a 230gn bullet..it will be gentle on the shoulder..sell all your other rifles and buy a 404 Jeffery..you will never regret it..guaranteed..

User

Great info, thanks.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Cordite Crazy, no need to wait..you can learn to shoot it by re-loading it with a 230gn bullet..it will be gentle on the shoulder..sell all your other rifles and buy a 404 Jeffery..you will never regret it..guaranteed..
    Thanks Gert, I’m not worried about the recoil (my go to hunting rifle is a 375H&H), it’s a factor of moola and sneaking another one into the safe without my wife noticing 😂.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

I have a 404 and its my go to rifle for most things, its fun to shoot, not too bad recoil, meet damage is minimal. I have QR mounts for a 1.5-6 scope, but the scope is removed for BASA shoots.

Eagerly awaiting the license for my .404 Jeffrey! Handed it in early feb so starting to hope for some good news soon. Busy planning an eland hunt, the first animal I will hopefully take with it. Can not wait!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
    I have a 404 and its my go to rifle for most things, its fun to shoot, not too bad recoil, meet damage is minimal. I have QR mounts for a 1.5-6 scope, but the scope is removed for BASA shoots.
    Robert, something I noticed when using my 404 Jeffery to hunt blue wildebeest and impala with 350 gn Stewarts core bonded bullets...all one shot kills but still a lot of meat damage like huge holes through the ribs and blown away part of the spine...other members suggest I use solids in hunting plains game...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Eagerly awaiting the license for my .404 Jeffrey! Handed it in early feb so starting to hope for some good news soon. Busy planning an eland hunt, the first animal I will hopefully take with it. Can not wait!
    It really is a great rifle caliber..to me an all purpose rifle..I believe all 404 Jeffery owners feels the same...it is basically the only rifle I need to own...all the other rifles I own is "nice to have rifles"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Robert, something I noticed when using my 404 Jeffery to hunt blue wildebeest and impala with 350 gn Stewarts core bonded bullets...all one shot kills but still a lot of meat damage like huge holes through the ribs and blown away part of the spine...other members suggest I use solids in hunting plains game...
    Hi Gert, I use 400gr claws and peregrines, nice and slow, the 320g peregrines make large holes if you shoot at close range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast