Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: History of the venerable 404 Jeffery: Research notes from Von Gruff

I am contemplating re-load down to 2050 f/s with a 350 gn Stewart core bonded bullet..maybe I can get the bullet not to exit the animal`s body??? Or even slower muzzle velocity??

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I am contemplating re-load down to 2050 f/s with a 350 gn Stewart core bonded bullet..maybe I can get the bullet not to exit the animal`s body??? Or even slower muzzle velocity??
    my 400gr claws go at 2100fps. they whistle straight through, I shot an impala that was facing went in at the throat and out through the "boud" hole straight through was as large as the expanded bullet. hartebees shot the same way the bullet was found right up against the hipbone. Gemsbok the same. but for heart/lung shots side on it whistles through.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
    my 400gr claws go at 2100fps. they whistle straight through, I shot an impala that was facing went in at the throat and out through the "boud" hole straight through was as large as the expanded bullet. hartebees shot the same way the bullet was found right up against the hipbone. Gemsbok the same. but for heart/lung shots side on it whistles through.
    I told Hansie Minnaar his Stewart core bonded bullets is much,much too functional, I did not manage to retrieve a single bullet to be able to have an example of how they really performed ...Hansie told me that is how the bullets were intended to perform...flawless and great penetration right through the animals..he suggest I try to shoot an eland or buffalo using a frontal shot placement, although he can not assure me of retrieving his bullets...since there is a large percentage of the bullets still going through the animal lengthwise..

Have any of you guys used the Norma woodleigh 450gr ammo? Soft nose and FMJ. If so what are your thoughts and experiences? I do not reload (yet?) and am looking to get some of these to see how my rifle handles them. Also interested to know if the SN and FMJ group well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2