Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Default Re: The role of the revolver as a self defense handgun - By ikor

Quote Originally Posted by scubes View Post
    That is why many say that in a close range encounter such as this, a knife is a better option and more lethal at very close range in-body range.
    Ive mentioned before. My personal view is if you want to EDC. Get Weapon retention training. Not just shooting training. As a target dont move. A good self defence course is vital.

I went for some Krav Maga training. And as you mention. If the attacker is on you. a knife is the way to go. A handgun you need to keep some space between the two of you. And in our training we also were taught to once the firearm is out to protect it. And not move closer to attacker.

With a knife at close range its easy to get stabs in. As its near impossible to protect your whole body with just 2 arms and 1 leg to move to try and block stabs.
    Unless you know and trained to disarm a knife.

User

Default Re: The role of the revolver as a self defense handgun - By ikor

I agree with all you say. There is the video doing the rounds now (I saw in Twitter) of the German couple in CPT the other day where the guy resisted a bit and got stabbed. Happens quickly. I have had training in Krav etc and used to do Wing Chun etc and have had some recent firearm training which is all good. However I realise this all happens so so fast- how will I react then? What will I do and with what? Will I reach for my 9mm, or my knife? I always carry a knife either a fixed blade hunting knife or a good folder knife. But is my hunting knife good for self defence? I use it mainly to cut biltong actually. My folder knife is a pricey knife and good steel but I still use it each day for utility tasks, if I need to get it out under stress will I get the blade open in time? There are so many variables and part of EDC I believe is a firearm of choice and a knife of choice at least. Then some guys also add the pepper spray and the ASP baton and you can add only so much for comfortable carry I believe. The ASP is great as it can help to add distance- but if your attacker grabs it he can then pull you in close where you don't want to be and where he has better knife skills than you. Quite honestly I'd rather run away from a fight- as close in with a guy who has stabbed people before I think I'd stand little chance.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Ive mentioned before. My personal view is if you want to EDC. Get Weapon retention training. Not just shooting training. As a target dont move. A good self defence course is vital.

I went for some Krav Maga training. And as you mention. If the attacker is on you. a knife is the way to go. A handgun you need to keep some space between the two of you. And in our training we also were taught to once the firearm is out to protect it. And not move closer to attacker.

With a knife at close range its easy to get stabs in. As its near impossible to protect your whole body with just 2 arms and 1 leg to move to try and block stabs.
    Unless you know and trained to disarm a knife.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19