Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EDC bag rifle

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Shortly after I joined the forum (Oct 2012) someone mentioned that there were two in the country, brought in on order.

In SA, an AK or AR type rifle is the wiser decision.
    What i dint like about the AR for this purpose is the fixed buffer tube

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    What i dint like about the AR for this purpose is the fixed buffer tube
    Law tactical folder ! FTW!

User

Default Re: EDC bag rifle

SBR AR is made for this! 300BLK , With a PDW stock or law tactical folder. SBR AK could work but not that common and ammo selection is tougher.
    However
    I discussed this idea once with some one heavily involved in close protection etc. He said even when they were required to dress informally they still kept the guns on body. He mentioned a bag setup in South Africa is a bad idea, where tourists etc are often target solely for the bag. Simalar to why the US concept of "truck guns" would also be a terrible idea if it was legal here.

User

Underfolder AK in a violin case.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Underfolder AK in a violin case.
    A violin case is not strong enough for the weight of a regular SLR. At least not for regular use.

The idea is simply brilliant. Question: in which manner would one produce a violin case that it can stand the "ground and pound" of carrying a SLR?

User

Something very light if you are going to EDC it!

I love the LMs and would love to suggest the LM5 or 6, or Galil SAR, but they are a ball ache to carry concealed due to the weight.

Therefore I would consider a light PCC.
    Maybe one of the Ruger PCCs as it takes the Glock double stack mags. Carry it with a 15 or 17 round mag and keep some happy sticks as back up.
    A 9mm+P or +P+ out the longer PCC barrel will warrant consideration.
    And if your pistol is a double stack Glock 9mm you can use the same mags for both EDC weapons.

Is this a rural or urban scenario though?
    If it is rural then I'd consider a .223 or 7.62x39.

What bag? No idea. Check out you tube reviews.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    A violin case is not strong enough for the weight of a regular SLR. At least not for regular use.

The idea is simply brilliant. Question: in which manner would one produce a violin case that it can stand the "ground and pound" of carrying a SLR?
    The newer cases will definitely he stong enough, but they probably cost more than the AK...

User

A racket ball case or tennis case is what we use, but I don’t carry it everywhere I go. I also have a couple of SBR cases. The racketball case is the lowest profile.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Makooza6 View Post
    Law tactical folder ! FTW!
    This does look awesome but then the rifle cannot be fired folded which kinda sucks.

User

I know that Gertjie mentioned it should be a rifle calibre but I'd go with a carbine in a handgun calibre.

I'd want barrel length 12-16 inches. Sights would be preferably open sights but if not I would want a simple, robust, small, low profile, fixed magnification RDS or similar because the firearm is likely to be knocked around quite a lot.

I would have mixed feelings about fixed vs folding stock. I'd probably want to try both options for a while.

I would want to carry it in a scabbard that I could sling over my shoulder or strap to the side of a backpack.

For the firearm itself I'd look at things like a lever action in .357 or .44 Magnum or I guess .30-30 if it must be a rifle calibre because lever actions are nice and slim & light and have a reasonable magazine capacity. On the semi-auto front I'd go with any of the AR-15 style semis in 9mmP or something along the lines of a Ruger PC-9. I would favour something that uses the now ubiquitous Glock mags. If it had to be rifle calibre I'd go with 300BLK or 7.62x39 or similar rather than .223. As I'm thinking about this, a few more Ruger products are springing to mind - they used to make a .44 semi-auto that was a bit like a scaled up 10-22 and they also made a bolt action in .357 magnum that might still be in production.

Such a setup will be good for most realistic purposes out to about 100, maybe 150 metres.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast