Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Constructing a Dangerous Game hunting /shooting range :input from members please??

Good day to all members...I believe everyone is good and well ? Members, as always if I want to commence with a project I turn to you all for ideas..this is no exception..please assist in ideas/opinions /suggestions/practical examples/technical designs/builds of winching systems...
    The dangerous game shooting/hunting re-enactment range will be build on a piece of land with a mountain as a back stop ..the mountain being about four hundred meters high and from a range of about two kilometers...between the mountain as back drop , a type of black wattel bush forest that slope up towards the mountain at quite steep angle...distance between mountain and small river /spruit flowing is about two hundred meters...the spruit is always flowing...
    Now with this information I want to be able build gravity feed moving targets towards and away from the shooter...
    Dangerous game include Buffalo, Lion ( moving targets) Stationary targets life size Elephant frontal brain shot side brain shot , hart/lung body shot and rear hip shot departing elephant....hippo shot from a blind at a drifting figure on a rope of the hippo / crocodile shot at drifting float of croc head /a stationary crocodile neck/head shot laying on the sand bank ...

The only time limits will be in accordance with the lion /buffalo target charging the shooter...time will not be a factor like the BASA shoots...any caliber any age participant all compete on the same level...
    Aim is to have a lot of fun, improve the shooting /hunting skills of participants...

But I really would like the set up as near as the original hunting experience..

No tyres used in the construction, only material from the area...

There are no tyres in Mozambique when you hunt elephant or dangerous game ...

User

Default Re: Constructing a Dangerous Game hunting /shooting range :input from members please??

Following this out of interest. There was recently a video of a similar range in Texas. But the local field guides and PHs commented that the speed of the moving targets were way too slow and not a good idea if some one is training for realistic charge conditions.

Default Re: Constructing a Dangerous Game hunting /shooting range :input from members please??

Before targets come ranges.

If there are no tyres. there are no barriers, and therefore you have to have the stages setup adjacent to each other, with one single firing line running across all the stages.

Unless you count sand as local material ?

If you are planning to have each stage on a different piece of ground over the available area like a walkabout safari, you have to have each stage constrained by back / side-stop.

The only way to have a public shooting range with no side stops and the mountain as the backstop is all the ranges spaced on one firing line.

Banned

I'd say, mount a frame with a frontal image of the buffalo onto a remote controlled buggie

Banned

I have always played with the idea of a geared foofie - zipline. Start pole is very high dropping on to into a lower anchor line presenting a horizontal approach. I have toyed with your idea since starting shooting.
    finances - finances -finances -finances.
    I personally know i will start a whole new fad trend -must do thing if I were able to build a range.
    My target on the slide will be a 210 lt drum body with target picture and with heart and brain represented by plates attached to releases that open hangers on the slide. If you hit the plate through target(heart, brain) the clip opens and the target falls off slide.

I am curious. Is there some legislation or standard prescribed rules from the SABS or SAPS regarding shooting ranges?

User

Hi Gert. Sounds like fun!
    For FGASA ARH we use a battery powered sled for the charging lion, buff and hippo but it can be adapted according to your needs. FGASA spec is slowish @ 8.5m/sec with 30m rope. FGASA have their own paper targets and we tape them to 40mm PVC frame. We get the winch, sled and wiring harness built in Germiston by a mate of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    I am curious. Is there some legislation or standard prescribed rules from the SABS or SAPS regarding shooting ranges?
    For a public range, yes. There is a standard to be complied with, and an inspection to approve compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    For a public range, yes. There is a standard to be complied with, and an inspection to approve compliance.
    Could you please assist me. Where can I find the relevant information
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    Could you please assist me. Where can I find the relevant information
    Thanks
    Document with requirements can be downloaded on saps website https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...n_firearms.php
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast