Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Road Tripping Planing and Preparation

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    One of the best trips I had was in 2001, my uncle and I drove to Zambia to watch an eclipse. Went in an old yellow Range Rover, did the hunters trail up to Kasane, 2 nights in Chobe, across on Kazangula Ferry to Zambia, off to Livingstone to see the falls, spent a night on camping on a friendly farmers field. Then via Lusaka to Kafue Park, camped on a huge anthill in the floodplain of the Kafue River. Woke up surrounded by Spanish and Argentine astronomers who came in 6 busses to view the eclipse. The eclipse itself as something to behold. Drove to Itsetize Dam, spent a night on the banks in a chalet all for $10. Bundu bashed Choma, then down to Wanke Park for a few nights.
    I was in a ex camel 110 there ! 20 years ago we getting old ...
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    One of the best trips I had was in 2001, my uncle and I drove to Zambia to watch an eclipse. Went in an old yellow Range Rover, did the hunters trail up to Kasane, 2 nights in Chobe, across on Kazangula Ferry to Zambia, off to Livingstone to see the falls, spent a night on camping on a friendly farmers field. Then via Lusaka to Kafue Park, camped on a huge anthill in the floodplain of the Kafue River. Woke up surrounded by Spanish and Argentine astronomers who came in 6 busses to view the eclipse. The eclipse itself as something to behold. Drove to Itsetize Dam, spent a night on the banks in a chalet all for $10. Bundu bashed Choma, then down to Wanke Park for a few nights.

That sounds fantastic

I have an elderly client who grew up coal mining in England and moved to Zambia way back in the day
    He recalls camping on the river, Zambian troops would arrive, head into the pub for a beer (Rifles left outside)
    Camping an 4x4ing while a war was going on!

Long story short, he dived into a shallow pool, broke his neck. Woke up in a rural clinic, being told he probably would never walk again
    A surgeon on safari holiday from India, operated on him, essentially putting him back together with wire (Which he showed me)

Apologies for the diversion, but jeez I have heard some amazing stories, and being brought up camping for 4 weeks at time with an old landy 110 diesel, and a beach buggy, I miss that get away!

My old man when he became a laarnie and got a CLI jetta, would tow the buggy and trailer If we got stuck my mom would jump out and drive the buggy, instant 4x4 haha. Jeez we had some good times as kids

^ That is amazing!

Did anyone do Goba to Maputo and Maputo to Malawi recently?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    I was in a ex camel 110 there ! 20 years ago we getting old ...
    You went for the eclipse too?!
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 11-05-2020 at 20:05.

Yes it was such a rush. Did you notice the very large number of Hare Krsna people there ?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

No, where we were there were just lots and lots of Spaniards 😂 .
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Still remember having a christmas skottle at crayfish point, Mapelane. Under the home made fold out awning my dad and his mate designed (no front runner back then)
    My old man said: "enjoy what we are doing, because you won't get to do this in the future"

In hind sight, the beach driving ban as much as it sucks for us now, was necessary. 4x4's were few and far between back then, now we all have them, that and alot of guys after a few beers really did stuff it up, dune driving etc.

Don't think anything beats a cruiser in Africa, as much as I love Jeep, it's always at the back of the mind........... parts, from where!We don't even have a KZN dealer any more haha

Yes some institute had a very large number present.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mtaute View Post
    Agree. Paul knows vehicles and especially Cruisers inside out.
    He has also done many, many many overland miles. Knows a lot about maintenance required during such trips.
    And I came here expecting to find assistance for a essential service travel permit over provincial borders.... ;)

Still some useful information here.

User

Really: what is an Indie? Please don't tell what an Indies isn't. Trying to learn here...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast