Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Homemade annealing machine info..

I look at all the clever guys on G/S and note post 15 to 18 all 52 years old and up. Here I am, wondering what "system resonance adaptable" and "high frequency circuit" and ' placing the coil correctly relative to the base/switch." could possibly mean.
    All these clever guys and all I can contribute is my annealer works well and has 2 cake tins and a spit braai motor, really wish I knew all that high end stuff.
    Good news is that I will also be clever soon, I turn 52 a hour or so, I so, so hope that the old adage, "with age comes wisdom" will kick in now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    Hi zs6hdv. Any idea where one can source such a unit?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I bought from bidorbuy after an ad popped up from Google Ads.

Search bidorbuy for "ZVS", mine (not shipped yet) was rated 1000W/20A.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

User

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Seems the Seller on BoB is Mantech - Electronics related parts supplier in JHB ( with a Capetown branch )

https://www.mantech.co.za/Stock.aspx...ATER+MODULEand

User

Hi,
    I am new to this Forum, but wanted to share my induction annealer design to anyone interested in making their own. I made a prototype in 2018 and had quite a few people in New Zealand interested in doing their own. During the coronavirus lockdown I designed a circuit board to take all the complications out of the control elements for fellow shooters to use.

The original project thread is here: https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....nnealer-41482/

Also put the build instructions onto a website https://www.mgnz-makes.com/

Hope this helps some people build an annealing machine that has proven to work quite well.

Cheers
    Mark

User

Quote Originally Posted by MGNZ View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to this Forum, but wanted to share my induction annealer design to anyone interested in making their own. I made a prototype in 2018 and had quite a few people in New Zealand interested in doing their own. During the coronavirus lockdown I designed a circuit board to take all the complications out of the control elements for fellow shooters to use.

The original project thread is here: https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....nnealer-41482/

Also put the build instructions onto a website https://www.mgnz-makes.com/

Hope this helps some people build an annealing machine that has proven to work quite well.

Cheers
    Mark
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    I bought from bidorbuy after an ad popped up from Google Ads.

Search bidorbuy for "ZVS", mine (not shipped yet) was rated 1000W/20A.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    This is not a necropost resurrection.

Today, the Post Office delivered the induction heating module I talked about in May of 2020.

Now I can start experimenting...

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    This is not a necropost resurrection.

Today, the Post Office delivered the induction heating module I talked about in May of 2020.

Now I can start experimenting...
    Please do post some pics and let us know how you get on with the build.

Having walked this road, I can advise you to go buy an annealing machine.

A gas powered annealer is good enough, you can get very consistent results if you hook it up to a bigger gas bottle for the runs with hundreds of brass.

A little part here and there seems like it's cheap, but consider how many trips you're going to make to Mantech, or how many orders online, and all the little bits to buy, and some that must be made, and then consider the time.

I bought a local product called Ballistix Pro, it was well under 3k. It does all case sizes up to the RUM, it can't do 500 Jeffery with the standard wheel, but those I do a few at a time by hand.

I can't make that product for the price I paid for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Having walked this road, I can advise you to go buy an annealing machine.

A gas powered annealer is good enough, you can get very consistent results if you hook it up to a bigger gas bottle for the runs with hundreds of brass.

A little part here and there seems like it's cheap, but consider how many trips you're going to make to Mantech, or how many orders online, and all the little bits to buy, and some that must be made, and then consider the time.

I bought a local product called Ballistix Pro, it was well under 3k. It does all case sizes up to the RUM, it can't do 500 Jeffery with the standard wheel, but those I do a few at a time by hand.

I can't make that product for the price I paid for it.
    I hear you, but note that the intention is not purely to get a working annealer. I'm an electronics engineer by qualification, and love to experiment. So the project will be a success even if it doesn't work.

That said, the induction heating module that I received was not the 1000W I ordered and paid for, but rather what seems to be a 120W module that goes for half the price I paid and waited 10 months for.

The problem now is that inductively heating brass is particularly inefficient, the 120W rating by itself is not too bad but from early tests I get maybe 10W out of the module into the brass. Putting a ferromagnetic material inside the coil makes the module MUCH MUCH MUCH more effective.

The offshoot of this low wattage into the brass, is that (1) it takes very long to heat, and (2) this gives the rest of the case time to heat up due to conduction before the neck gets to the proper temperature. So, my module, as is, is not going to work.

So, I will overdrive it to start (going significantly above the 12V supply range). As long as I keep to brass case necks, I should not pop the transistors due to power rating. I might exceed their voltage spec, but if I do, so be it.

Once I have taken the module to its limits, I will probably scratch build a higher power version. I have many of the components in my extensive store.

And then I'll probably return to hand annealing with my gas flame.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast