Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Banned

Default Re: Homemade annealing machine info..

Nothing wrong with experimenting, especially if you know more or less what you're doing.
    If you didn't, and were thumb sucking, then it would be a long hard road

Banned

Do let us know how it goes

Hi, I did experiment with his as well, and build it successfully - am willing to provide assistance or supply the parts that is not available for purchase, or alternatively supply it complete. I also made the controller board (Arduino Shield) that controls everything. If you are interested, you can contact me for further information.

Hi Chris. PM sent

My contact details are :chris.smith@mweb.co.za or Cell 0823299912

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    I hear you, but note that the intention is not purely to get a working annealer. I'm an electronics engineer by qualification, and love to experiment. So the project will be a success even if it doesn't work.

That said, the induction heating module that I received was not the 1000W I ordered and paid for, but rather what seems to be a 120W module that goes for half the price I paid and waited 10 months for.

The problem now is that inductively heating brass is particularly inefficient, the 120W rating by itself is not too bad but from early tests I get maybe 10W out of the module into the brass. Putting a ferromagnetic material inside the coil makes the module MUCH MUCH MUCH more effective.

The offshoot of this low wattage into the brass, is that (1) it takes very long to heat, and (2) this gives the rest of the case time to heat up due to conduction before the neck gets to the proper temperature. So, my module, as is, is not going to work.

So, I will overdrive it to start (going significantly above the 12V supply range). As long as I keep to brass case necks, I should not pop the transistors due to power rating. I might exceed their voltage spec, but if I do, so be it.

Once I have taken the module to its limits, I will probably scratch build a higher power version. I have many of the components in my extensive store.

And then I'll probably return to hand annealing with my gas flame.
    That last open works really well when there is nothing to do during load shedding. It really is quick and easy and needs nothing but a blow torch and bowl of water.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4