Thread: My own knife

User

Default My own knife

I recently got to finish my knife’s sheath, the knife itself was a labour of love in 2011. Was sitting without a proper sheath on my shelve.

The handle is hippopotamus teeth and the blade is Sheffield cast steel- got some good sharping capabilities.

Thought I might share- DsJ helped me a lot. It is somewhat styled on a Puuko.

User

Default Re: My own knife

Interesting looking knife there.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Banned

Long ago and far away
    Glad you have it finished.

User

Finkelstein, it is great to see another member of the forum turning to knife making... Please tell me more about the qualities of the hippo thooth? Is is easy to process with a sanding machine? How difficult does it cut with a hacksaw? Does it clog -up sanding paper? How do you seal the surface and what product do you use???
    I really would be glad if you can share this info with us, I have a few great pieces of hippo tooth but I am leaving it until I know more about the processing qualities of it...it will make just great knife blade handles for knifes I am sure.. Well done on your first completion of your first knife..one of a lot of knifes still to come I am sure..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Finkelstein, it is great to see another member of the forum turning to knife making... Please tell me more about the qualities of the hippo thooth? Is is easy to process with a sanding machine? How difficult does it cut with a hacksaw? Does it clog -up sanding paper? How do you seal the surface and what product do you use???
    I really would be glad if you can share this info with us, I have a few great pieces of hippo tooth but I am leaving it until I know more about the processing qualities of it...it will make just great knife blade handles for knifes I am sure.. Well done on your first completion of your first knife..one of a lot of knifes still to come I am sure..
    Hi Gert, even though Hippo teeth is also ivory, it is a lot harder than Elephant ivory. The reason for this is that the entire teeth is made up of dentine without a pulp centre- this was told to me by a Histopathologist who is a keen knife-maker. That also mean you do not need to seal it.
    It is possible to file and sand, but to create the hole for the hidden tang was a mission. I cut it with a mitre saw slowly. I sanded it smooth, then dremel the surface into the pattern.
    The tang is glued in place with dental epoxy and the two rivets was placed.

User

Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated...I need to try a knife handle with some of my hippo tooth..