my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Luftwaffe Stuka pilot Somerset West South Africa

Heinz-Georg Wilhelm Migeod was born on 24 February 1918 in Stettin and passed away on 18 November 2010 in Somerset West, South Africa at the age of 92. These interviews took place at Dr Migeod’s house on 31 May 2010 in Somerset West South Africa. Dr Heinz Migeod was a Luftwaffe Stuka pilot who saw service in France, BOB, Balkans, Crete and Africa. Bearer of the German Cross in Gold, Ehrenpokal, Iron Cross 2nd and 1st Class; Flying Clasp in Gold and others awards. He belonged to Sturzkampfgeschwader 3. A dedicated website with data and photographs of Heinz Migeod.

Source: https://www.argunners.com/interview-...#ixzz6MeckvIqh
    live out your imagination , not your history.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Luftwaffe Stuka pilot Somerset West South Africa

https://samilhistory.com/2015/11/22/...pied-by-italy/

A German of French descent shot down by a South African of German descent in a country occupied by Italy ….

Another amazing and very human story about one of our World War 2 South African heroes. This one where two former enemies became close friends long after they met in the skies of North Africa during Word War 2. A German and a South African pilot fought to the death, the South African shooting down the German, later only to become friends.

IMG_0794.jpg.opt824x867o0,0s824x867

The colorised image is Stuka pilot Lt. Heinz-Georg Migeod, shot down in Libya, 11/11/1942 by SAAF fighter pilot DB “Hoefie” Hauptfleisch (in the black and white portrait insert).

After the war Heinz relocated to South Africa where he met Hoefie and they became good friends. Hoefie passed away in 2009 and Heinz in 2010.

Tinus Le Roux was fortunate to have met Heinz. He once said to Tinus that the incident on 11 Nov 1942 was very funny: “a German of French descent was shot down by a South African from German descent in an African country occupied by Italy”

Now that is sheer irony.

Watch Tinus’ interview of the German Stuka pilot Heinz-Georg Migeod on the day he was shot down by Hoefie Haupfeish, its historic gold and gives an excellent insight into the manner the war was fought in North Africa.
    live out your imagination , not your history.