Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ruger EC9s

Default Ruger EC9s

Hi there,

Any thoughts on the Ruger Ec9s? Especially for women.

VLT has a very good deal.

Banned

Default Re: Ruger EC9s

Would you give us a little more info on your situation, or the intended use of the firearm? I suppose it is for a wife, mother, girlfriend or daughter, and specifically for self defence?

Spare parts and aftermarket service is not always as abundant in SA as in the US. Glock and CZ are probably the best represented in SA, and therefore general forum advice is to stick to those brands.

If you go through older threads on Ruger you will see that there are mixed opinions on them. I get the impression that personal preferences play a large role in the public opinion, and within our SA circumstances the logistics of firearm ownership can make things difficult.

That said, I have met enough knowledgeable folks who think highly of Ruger in general.

If the pistol will not be shot much, it will probably do the job very well. And that is in itself a contradiction because one needs to practice with it.

Then, please do not decide on a firearm for her without involving her in it? The reason is simple that she will probably only carry it if she wants it, and is comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Would you give us a little more info on your situation, or the intended use of the firearm? I suppose it is for a wife, mother, girlfriend or daughter, and specifically for self defence?

Spare parts and aftermarket service is not always as abundant in SA as in the US. Glock and CZ are probably the best represented in SA, and therefore general forum advice is to stick to those brands.

If you go through older threads on Ruger you will see that there are mixed opinions on them. I get the impression that personal preferences play a large role in the public opinion, and within our SA circumstances the logistics of firearm ownership can make things difficult.

That said, I have met enough knowledgeable folks who think highly of Ruger in general.

If the pistol will not be shot much, it will probably do the job very well. And that is in itself a contradiction because one needs to practice with it.

Then, please do not decide on a firearm for her without involving her in it? The reason is simple that she will probably only carry it if she wants it, and is comfortable with it.
    It's going to be mainly for home defense initially, until my wife gets more proficient and comfortable with time. My wife says she would like a gun but is not 100% sure of the responsibility. She has been to the range many times firing my guns so not new to guns or shooting.

I have bought the Ruger, the price was just so low I felt even if she doesn't like it or is not comfortable with time and practice/training I can always get rid of it or upgrade to something better. In the mean time she can get used to the idea of owning her own gun.

Banned

Another thing I learnt only recently: contact a Ruger armourer or Ruger self, and ask for the design and maintenance specs of the pistol. Example: S&W M&P9 was designed to last 150 000 shots.

If they tell you the EC9 was designed for 10 000 shots, you know to take very good care of it. If it was designed for 100 000 shots, you can comfortably put thousands of rounds through it and just do regular maintenance.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Recently I have seen Turkish pistols take off
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    This would be really welcome news, especially for folks who cannot or do not want to buy an expensive firearm.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I asked about spares and accessories and there seems to be a good choice and the agents are good backing up the product.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Another thing I learnt only recently: contact a Ruger armourer or Ruger self, and ask for the design and maintenance specs of the pistol. Example: S&W M&P9 was designed to last 150 000 shots.

If they tell you the EC9 was designed for 10 000 shots, you know to take very good care of it. If it was designed for 100 000 shots, you can comfortably put thousands of rounds through it and just do regular maintenance.
    That makes sense, will drop them an email.

I was thinking of the Girsan MC28, it's the same price as the Ruger but the size is a problem for carry.

User

I asked about spares and accessories and there seems to be a good choice and the agents are good backing up the product.
    AFAIK there are 2 local importers for Ruger, VLT in Pta and Guns&Bows in Parow.

VLT is owned by the AOS/Delta group, the same guys who give such excelent support on Taurus etc... And they have this pistol on promotion.

I am a big Ruger fan and own several Rugers. Although I have zero experience with the EC9, I have high expectations of it. The acid test would be to find spare mags, springs, holsters etc.

These are things one should investigate BEFORE buying it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast