Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Crew Dragon will sooon be Launching

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    That was awesome.

Norminal liftoff and orbit insertion and the Falcon stuck its landing.

A really nice thing to share with my boy
    We watched the last hour before lift off and only now,on our way to bed. History was made !!!

Well done

User

Seriously cool. The rocket did what has become to be expected of it. Now the new stuff really starts.

Here's holding thumbs all goes well.

Boeing must be rather... disappointed... for coming second; still lots of sh..stuff to be sorted out with that calamity capsule!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Seriously cool. The rocket did what has become to be expected of it. Now the new stuff really starts.

Here's holding thumbs all goes well.

Boeing must be rather... disappointed... for coming second; still lots of sh..stuff to be sorted out with that calamity capsule!
    It seems that they are getting their crap together, actually insane to think they got more than 3 times the funding than SpaceX from the Commercial Crew and are 4 years over their deadline. But hope they get Starliner sorted, the more is better.

I see docking is tomorrow 16:27 our time with Bob and Doug boarding 2 hours later and capturing the flag for SpaceX.

User

Travelling at 27000km/hr looked fun
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Awesome stuff! Only bummer was the camera on the drone ship cutting out. I would have thought they'd place a few more cameras give the magnitude of the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Travelling at 27000km/hr looked fun
    Must be a Toyota rocket.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Awesome stuff! Only bummer was the camera on the drone ship cutting out. I would have thought they'd place a few more cameras give the magnitude of the occasion.
    I saw stage one land in a highlights clip, or at least joined the program with Stage ! firmly entrenched on the landing platform.

This is almost the most crucial part of the mission. The re-useable Stage 1 rocket is what makes the program commercially viable.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    It's literally the noise of the rocket that causes vibration in the electonic equipment (and probably the antennas and cables) leading to loss of signal.

The physics behind that landing is very "tight" and requires split-second timing. Even with just one engine, the landing burn gives more thrust than the first stage's weight. Therefore it can't hover into position and then shut down, they have to get the timing right that the decelleration is spot-on to give zero speed when it's essentially on the pad, then switch it off.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    It's literally the noise of the rocket that causes vibration in the electonic equipment (and probably the antennas and cables) leading to loss of signal.
    Yes, specifically the directional satellite uplink antenna. The vibrations are so strong and such a high frequency that the pointing motors can not compensate. SpaceX have actually looked adding a string of antenna flying drones of drone ships to create a link between the landing droneship and the recovery fleet but the cost is prohibitive for the gains. SpaceX usually uploads the landing video recordings from the droneship and a camera drone after recovery. Out of the dozens I watched there was 2 IIRC that kept connection for almost the whole landing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast