User

Default Black Powder Beginner

Good day

I am very interested in entering the world of blackpowder shooting. I would llike to begin with a western style revolver. I just want to clarify, do they need to be licensed? ( six round capacity?)

Also , since living in a remote area; is there any online shopping options available locally?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Black Powder Beginner

I do think you need Competency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

First, you need a "Muzzle loading fire arm" competency certificate.

The FCA amendment act, I think it was Act 28 of 2006, changed the description from "Antique" to "Muzzle Loading" and also changed the definition from "made before 1900 or a replica" to "load a single bullet per barrel from the muzzle", thus effectively removing a cap-and-ball revolver and making it a livensable fire arm. This sounds quite simple.

The catch is that there were not any provisions in the act or regulations that facilitate the transition of these revolvers form exempted to a license. This has lead to a "Directive" being issued by SAPS that no one may be arrested for the posession of a cap-and-ball revolver and the relevant section and corresponding regs have not been promulgated (enacted) yet. If the were, this might be a good argument in court to scrap the irrational act.

So for now, you can buy it and keep it without any paperwork. You need to have a ML competency to apply for a Black Powder Permit, which you need to buy and keep black powder and percussion caps.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    First, you need a "Muzzle loading fire arm" competency certificate.

The FCA amendment act, I think it was Act 28 of 2006, changed the description from "Antique" to "Muzzle Loading" and also changed the definition from "made before 1900 or a replica" to "load a single bullet per barrel from the muzzle", thus effectively removing a cap-and-ball revolver and making it a livensable fire arm. This sounds quite simple.

The catch is that there were not any provisions in the act or regulations that facilitate the transition of these revolvers form exempted to a license. This has lead to a "Directive" being issued by SAPS that no one may be arrested for the posession of a cap-and-ball revolver and the relevant section and corresponding regs have not been promulgated (enacted) yet. If the were, this might be a good argument in court to scrap the irrational act.

So for now, you can buy it and keep it without any paperwork. You need to have a ML competency to apply for a Black Powder Permit, which you need to buy and keep black powder and percussion caps.
    . Thank you for the solid reply

User

Shooting BP rollies are great. Have shot these competitively in the past. Make sure you do your homework on how to load / fire these and you will have many fun times at the range.

As stated by other GS members, you need a black powder competency before you may own a BP firearm. I suggest the following steps.
    1. Go for training for the ML competency.
    2. Apply for ML / BP competency from the SAPS.
    3. Buy the firearm and take it home. It now legal for you to own. Currently, no license required.
    4. Once you have the firearm, then you can apply for your Black Powder permit which would allow you to buy, use and transport black powder. Apply for the BP permit at the explosive section of the SAPS.

You would also need some BP accessories which can be obtained from some gunshops. Classic arm, NSN and Blunderbus comes to mind.

Accessories you WILL need:
    Black powder measure.
    Nipple wrench. (nipples MUST be removed for cleaning)
    Clean Green or "Butch bore shine" and cleaning rods / jags.
    WAX to seal the round balls in the cylinder to prevent a chain fire.
    Ballistol to lubricate (Stay FAR away from any petroleum based oils in black powder guns)

Nice-to-haves:
    Bench loading tool to load the cylinder.
    Black powder bullet puller.
    Nipple pick
    Copper compound (to prevent the nipples from ceasing into the cylinder. Ballistol can also be used but is not as effective)
    Nipple priming tool
    Spare nipples

Enjoy!

User

Thank you very much for the sound advice. It is really appreciated.

Now I am looking for a good second hand sixgun. Bought twice on FB, sellers did not come through so i am still on the lookout.

I guess your word means nothing on the interwebs nowadays.

GunBroker, Gun Afrika they come up all the time. I prefer the Remington to the Colt.

User

Im really liking the 1851 navy

Any thoughts?

I prefer the "topstrap", solid frame design of the Remington. Just a personal choice as far as durability is concerned.