Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

Good day to every member on this cold winter`s morning, I believe all is still well and good and hopefully none of you went hunting and are occupying a jail compartment while being experiencing great service from the SAPS and company ...
    Members, I see it is not a frequent topic on discuss on this part of the forum...Double rifles: How do you as a South African hunter view these items from your hunting perspective?? Is there really a place for these rifles in a biltong hunter`s armory????

While it is toooooo cold to venture out the doors let us see what you think in regards to this topic..

Banned

Talking Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Is there really a place for these rifles in a biltong hunter`s armory????
    Can a "biltong-hunter" AFFORD a good double gun ?

User

Default Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

Gert, if you only like Elephant biltong then certainly . Oops - hold that for that for Monday!

User

Default Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

A double rifle is generally quite heavy, so having to carry one all day takes some getting used to.
    I have also played with a Blaser 30-06 bolt action double rifle. Will not ever use it. Heavy as hell. It might work for someone shooting pigs from a stand in a European Forrest, but useless here in my opinion.

Now I know a forum member has a light 303 double that is an awesome bush gun.

So I think it depends on the weight of the rifle. If it's uncomfortable, I don't think it will be used as there are easier rifles out there to use
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Yes, you all are echoing my sentiment as well...I currently have to sell a Sabatti .416 Rigby double rifle for a person and need to determine a second hand price . It is difficult since I know very well this is a small following or buyers so I have to research my buyers market..as for myself, when going on pension I would be able to buy a good quality high grade double rifle ...my difficulty that I would not know what to do with it..I am sure there are other ventures to persue that will even generate more money for myself than a double rifle buying venture...

User

Hands down I would buy a 470 or 500 double, but it has a dedicated function.

It's a lot of money to spend for a once off hunt if you don't hunt DG often. Not to say that you can't use it for a bushveld hunt.

I have been offered a Baikal 45-90 by a client for a good price, but I don't think it is 100% reliable as a charge stopper, so haven't jumped on it yet
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

Yes, you all are echoing my sentiment as well...I currently have to sell a Sabatti .416 Rigby double rifle for a person and need to determine a second hand price . It is difficult since I know very well this is a small following or buyers so I have to research my buyers market..as for myself, when going on pension I would be able to buy a good quality high grade double rifle ...my difficulty that I would not know what to do with it..I am sure there are other ventures to persue that will even generate more money for myself than a double rifle buying venture...
    Priceless to a good PH
    Who would obviously get a lot of good use out of it.
    Not sure how many of those left -- that hunt ALL of the big five regularly !

Banned

Question Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

I am sure there are other ventures to persue that will even generate more money for myself than a double rifle buying venture...
    Have a look at the classifieds ( all the different outlets )
    Anything decent under about R6,000 is gone pretty quickly
    Perhaps THAT is where the market is ?

User

Stupid question because I really just don't know - how does the side-by-side barrels affect the sighting-in process of a double rifle when using a scope? Or are we talking exclusively open sights here? I would believe the two barrels would have different impact points, or perhaps "cross over" each other somewhere, and I would love to know how you handle this when using a scope.

EDIT: That being said, I'd love a double rifle in a more "realistic" biltong hunter's caliber, like .308 Win or .30-06, for short-range hunts in the bush.

Banned

As far as I know, the double rifle as discussed here came into being for big game hunting, especially dangerous animals at short range, and to stop charges. The ability of a fast second shot is what sold the rifles. It is essentially a working rifle with a very specific purpose. Secondly, the flair and romance of an African safari probably led to many of the rifles being sold to be more or less safe queens, just like many SD handguns end up in a gunsafe.

Given that most doubles are made in big bores, and often quite heavy, they are an overkill for the average hunter.

I have heard quite a few times that doubles are not accurate enough at longer range, but I do not know whether that is true.

Lastly, doubles are said to be designed and built around a specific cartridge, ie: 458 WinMag with a 480gr bullet at xxx velocity. Firing another bullet is said to give less accuracy. (Blaser doubles have independent barrels, and are the exception to this rule.)

If one has work for it, I think it should be a pleasure to own and shoot. For most of us, a regular bolt rifle will do the job just as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast