Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

What gives me nightmares is a charging Springbok if wounded, might have to invest in a double.....

User

Default Re: Double rifles : How practical/user friendly for the South African hunter??

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    I know of only one guide ("the bearded one") who regularly uses his .470 Nitro for guiding. He is a gun nut so maybe that's part of the reason but he also practices the reload ad-nauseum! Bang, bang, reload two takes a bit of time without practice. Even more if it's an extractor gun rather than ejector.
    I have shot the bearded ones double at a KNP shoot, that thing is a piece of beauty.

But there's a couple of other guides that are starting to use doubles, albeit only the ones who own Timbavati lodges that I know of!

I'm not sure how I would feel having a backup guide with a loaded double walking behind me though.

I would love to use one for trails, but money wise it's just not practical (read I'll never be able to afford one).

In general I think there still is a market for PHs to buy doubles, especially if you could get one for around 60kish or less.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Forgive my ignorance, but why are double rifles so expensive?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    If a noob like me had to answer, is that they are not readily made firstly.
    Secondly, they are mostly made in big bore charge stoppers, so big bore= big price
    Thirdly, due to point number 1, they are made by a few top end manufacturers(you're not gonna come across one made by Howa for say 20k)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    It is a lot of work to build a double rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post

EDIT: That being said, I'd love a double rifle in a more "realistic" biltong hunter's caliber, like .308 Win or .30-06, for short-range hunts in the bush.
    Tikka used to make an over/under double in .30-06 amongst other calibres. Probably better described as a "system" than a rifle as one could choose from multiple different barrel options. Google Tikka 412 or Tikka 512. I think there was one on a Classic Arms auction a few years back.

Browning used to make an over/under double based on their normal 325/425 shotgun frame in 9.3 x74R & probably a few other calibres too. Probably still available to special order. There was an article on one in Magnum a few years back and the owner or members of his family used to be on this forum, not sure if they still are.

Both options a bit more affordable than the typical big bore side by side double.

I suspect an over/under double would be easier to regulate than a side-by-side which would make it more economical to build.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3