Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: CZ 452 .22LR - most accurate ammunition?

I have found that precision varies a lot depending on barrel, even from the same model of rifle. There is no one good cartridge per model. The only way is to test every cartridge you can buy. A friend's old Bruno can shoot extremely well with Eley Sport, yet my Anschutz Match 54 suck with the same ammo. My Anshutz worked well with RWS Match, but another club member's Anshutz did not.

Banned

From what I have read and learnt- both here and in private discussions - is that most folks get at least reasonable to good accuracy with standard velocity ammunition. That helps because it is a starting point and rules out sub sonic and HV's for a start. If this does not work, we would have to start down the long road.

User

Hi guys, I bought some SK in bulk when it was on sale. Accuracy was okay-ish. Was bored and decided to sort them by weight - was quite shocked in the variation. In one box there was total variation in 1.1 grain (ES). Will try the sorted ammo out as soon as lockdown is over might be promising - time will tell :)

My 455, gives me 1 hole groups at 50m (if I do my bit) with:

1. Lapua HV, in the gold box. Being HV, it also extends my useful accurate range if I need too. (Very Very pricey)
    2. SK Standard Plus, Black Box with Yellow labels. (Excellent pricing, normal price from S&O, R85 per 50, but could go down to R65 on 1 of their specials, pre Wuhan flu, that is)
    3. CCI SV 40gn Target. (Not regularly available)

I'v kind of standardized on the SK as it is way cheaper than the Lapua and I was able to get a lot from Safari and Outdoor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    From what I have read and learnt- both here and in private discussions - is that most folks get at least reasonable to good accuracy with standard velocity ammunition. That helps because it is a starting point and rules out sub sonic and HV's for a start. If this does not work, we would have to start down the long road.
    Don't rule out the physics of the matter (.22s are't all magic and angeldust!)
    Measure what the barrel's twist rate is, and just make sure that it'll stabilise 40gr bullets at the chosen speeds. Standard for .22 is 1:16, for some reason lost to a designer or a workshop operator in Bloemfontein my Musgrave's twist is 1:17... this leads to marginal stability with 40gr bullets (and frustrating lack of accuracy - which at least is "less bad to almost usable" with some HV loads) while it shoots well with (slightly shorter) 36gr bullets and gives really good results when 36gr HV is used. Running the numbers it's obvious that the latter is well stabilized.

Also, subsonics "should" generally shoot more accurately if they stabilise well, because they don't have to deal with a transonic transition like standards may have to do.

Today at the range. Friend's 455. He's using a max x 10 Nikko Sterling now. Still very impressive.

I have a CZ 455 Thumbhole Stock and have found the best results for me have been shooting Federal Std Velocity but have also had good results with Remington Golden Bullet hi velocity which is a bit pricey R300 per 100 last time I bought them Getting about .5 inch group at 50mtr with both

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Dave View Post
    I have a CZ 455 Thumbhole Stock and have found the best results for me have been shooting Federal Std Velocity but have also had good results with Remington Golden Bullet hi velocity which is a bit pricey R300 per 100 last time I bought them Getting about .5 inch group at 50mtr with both
    0.5 inch should be close to what you get with almost any ammo ?

User

My CZ455 varmint likes the yellow SK’s. These are groups of 10 shots at 25m, 50m and 100m. The last target is at 50m

I did however see that it can shoot almost any standard velocity ammo very good after about 2 x boxes.

Dont ask me how or why, but i saw if I switch to a new brand the first 50 shots are bad, but then its almost like the barrel gets lined / get used to the ammo and the groups improve the more you shoot.

My advice would be to not throw away any of the ammo you choose if you dont shoot at least 2 boxes of the same brand before switching.

Unfortunately the yellow SKs are R160 per box at safari at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

[QUOTE=Theuno de Bruin;1413090]My CZ455 varmint likes the yellow SK’s. These are groups of 10 shots at 25m, 50m and 100m. The last target is at 50m

I did however see that it can shoot almost any standard velocity ammo very good after about 2 x boxes.

Dont ask me how or why, but i saw if I switch to a new brand the first 50 shots are bad, but then its almost like the barrel gets lined / get used to the ammo and the groups improve the more you shoot.

My advice would be to not throw away any of the ammo you choose if you dont shoot at least 2 boxes

but then its almost like the barrel gets lined / get used to the ammo and the groups improve the more you shoot.

My advice would be to not throw away any of the ammo you choose if you dont shoot at least 2 boxes

About sums it up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3