Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Kydex retention too tight?

I have a Quantum Carry Chameleon v2 for my Glock G45.
    It clips in nicely but I am just about unable to get the firearm out of the holster
    If I separate the holster a bit it comes out easily.
    I was thinking I'd take it apart and put in some thin spacers but it seems to be sealed.

Any tips or suggestions?
    Do they wear in over time? Feels like a solid material so I would not expect it.
    There are no retention screws on it.
    Do I heat it and try to reshape it?

Not being able to draw my firearm without fumbling about sounds like a bad idea.

User

Default Re: Kydex retention too tight?

I had the same. You have two options. Send it back and ask for it to be loosened a bit.
    Or, modify it at your own risk. I went this route. I heated it up with a hair drier, then inserted the FA into the holster, then remove. Do this once or twice and let it cool. Test again. Repeat until it works for you.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    I had the same. You have two options. Send it back and ask for it to be loosened a bit.
    Or, modify it at your own risk. I went this route. I heated it up with a hair drier, then inserted the FA into the holster, then remove. Do this once or twice and let it cool. Test again. Repeat until it works for you.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the recommendation. How long did you heat it up?
    I'm definitely open to this option.

I also bought a quantum carry holster. Mine does the same. Pretty hard to pull out. I only got to try it out at the range, but I plan to do the hairdryer thing when I get my licence.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

User

My guess its that they do it it intentionally. Its easier to loosen too much retention than to need to tighten it up. I've got absolutely no issue with it, its a quality product.

How long with a hairdryer? Just long enough. Heat it gradually, inside, outside, moving the hairdryer side to side. Insert FA, remove. Insert, remove. If no change, heat some more. Repeat.
    Give it a few minutes to cool down, then insert and remove again. Heat again if necessary. Took me a few attempts to get it just right (I went too far and had to pinch it again slightly).
    If you heat it up too much, you could deform it, which might be less easy to fix.

Too many variables to give an exact time (different powered hair driers, ambient temperature, kydex thickness etc) so you need to go by feel.

Remember that you need some retention, otherwise the pistol will just fall out. And you don't want that.

Sounds like poor design if you need a hairdryer to get the correct retention?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    My guess its that they do it it intentionally. Its easier to loosen too much retention than to need to tighten it up. I've got absolutely no issue with it, its a quality product.

How long with a hairdryer? Just long enough. Heat it gradually, inside, outside, moving the hairdryer side to side. Insert FA, remove. Insert, remove. If no change, heat some more. Repeat.
    Give it a few minutes to cool down, then insert and remove again. Heat again if necessary. Took me a few attempts to get it just right (I went too far and had to pinch it again slightly).
    If you heat it up too much, you could deform it, which might be less easy to fix.

Too many variables to give an exact time (different powered hair driers, ambient temperature, kydex thickness etc) so you need to go by feel.

Remember that you need some retention, otherwise the pistol will just fall out. And you don't want that.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm waiting on some feedback from Quantum Carry before I got ham on the holster.
    I will likely be following your advice though. Definitely don't want to deform the unit. Will take it slow and see how much heat is needed to loosen it up just a bit.

User

Just keep in mind retention should be strong enough that the gun doesn't fall out when you fall, roll, go upside down, etc. etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Just keep in mind retention should be strong enough that the gun doesn't fall out when you fall, roll, go upside down, etc. etc.
    Agreed. There should definitely be some retention. But at this point I'm more likely to rip my pants off than draw my firearm. I do suppose that will also provide a certain shock factor to any potential assailant but I'd rather adjust my setup so that I can reliably draw my firearm :P

User

I have made a couple of Kydex holsters before, its a thermoplastic that becomes soft like worn leather under the correct amount of heat, keep in mind that if you loosen it too much you will need to send it back unless you are willing to build a press.

If you choose the hair dryer option please TAKE YOUR TIME, dont rush it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast