Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Kydex retention too tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I have made a couple of Kydex holsters before, its a thermoplastic that becomes soft like worn leather under the correct amount of heat, keep in mind that if you loosen it too much you will need to send it back unless you are willing to build a press.

If you choose the hair dryer option please TAKE YOUR TIME, dont rush it
    Yeah definitely need to be very careful to not muck this up if I do take a hair dryer to it.
    The other option I was considering is getting the rivets out and just putting some spacers in there. This definitely will work as I've tested a temp fix with a folded piece of paper.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TheV View Post
    The other option I was considering is getting the rivets out and just putting some spacers in there.
    Problem solved

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Problem solved
    Yeah this is likely the better solution. Just waiting for feedback from Quantum Carry before I take the rivets out as that is quite a destructive operation.

User

@TheV, what belt and clips do you use with the QC V2?

I also have a V2, and one thing Matthew can improve in my opinion will be to design it with retention adjustment.

That said, mine with 2 C-Clips and either a DH Cobra belt or Kallermann leather belt works really well without any modification.
    I can draw the gun without issue, but can also roll around or stand on my head and the gun will not fall out of the holster.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    @TheV, what belt and clips do you use with the QC V2?

I also have a V2, and one thing Matthew can improve in my opinion will be to design it with retention adjustment.

That said, mine with 2 C-Clips and either a DH Cobra belt or Kallermann leather belt works really well without any modification.
    I can draw the gun without issue, but can also roll around or stand on my head and the gun will not fall out of the holster.
    I have the standard J clips on my unit. The clips feel very secure and sits nicely op my Daniel's EDC belt.
    I can draw the gun with two handed operation, pulling the shell apart. This is obviously not ideal as one hand should be lifting the clothing covering the firearm and the other hand should be pulling the firearm out.
    As mentioned above sticking less than 1mm worth of paper in between the shell by the trigger guard loosens it up enough to actually draw the firearm but still maintains enough retention so that it doesn't just drop out of the holster for no good reason.

User

Seems that retention on yours then needs to be changed by one of the methods already mentioned.

I would replace the J-Clips with Soft Loops, just because J-Clips are the least secure of the options (this is a discussion for another day and has led to some rage quits on GS before ).

User

Seems that retention on yours then needs to be changed by one of the methods already mentioned.

I would replace the J-Clips with Soft Loops, just because J-Clips are the least secure of the options (this is a discussion for another day and has led to some rage quits on GS before ).
    I'll definitely post back here with the results of whichever solution I end up going with.

Now I'm curious, why not J clips?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TheV View Post
    Now I'm curious, why not J clips?
    This is one of those debates which never ends.

My opinion and experience on clips:
    - J-Clips twist/torque even on a proper and well fitting belt, to the point where they can break or pop off. Under normal conditions it is unlikely. Under fighting, rolling on the floor conditions I have seen this happen in combative training scenarios. Two clips like you have on the QC V2 will of course be better.
    - C-Clips are more secure being captive behind the belt, but belt fit becomes more important. They conceal better being behind the belt and allow you to tuck your shirt as well.
    - Soft Loops with Pull the Dot loops are the most secure. Of course they also go over the belt so do not conceal that well, but with struts will also allow you to tuck your shirt.

Not all clips are equal in terms of quality.
    Some years back a reviewer who posts on GS FB page and EDC a lot did some tests and a certain brand of clip broke where another brand held up well.
    I have not had clips from QC break yet, but I had J-Clips deform to the point of being useless over a few months.

Like I said, two J-Clips are of course much better than one and two clips on the QC V2 keeps the holster very stable.
    Some prefer one clip which enables some holster movement which can be more comfortable when sitting down.
    I prefer the stability of two and am used to it even sitting down for long stretches at a desk or driving.

This topic has led to rage quits, more on the GS FB page than here, but still

User

This is one of those debates which never ends.

My opinion and experience on clips:
    - J-Clips twist/torque even on a proper and well fitting belt, to the point where they can break or pop off. Under normal conditions it is unlikely. Under fighting, rolling on the floor conditions I have seen this happen in combative training scenarios. Two clips like you have on the QC V2 will of course be better.
    - C-Clips are more secure being captive behind the belt, but belt fit becomes more important. They conceal better being behind the belt and allow you to tuck your shirt as well.
    - Soft Loops with Pull the Dot loops are the most secure. Of course they also go over the belt so do not conceal that well, but with struts will also allow you to tuck your shirt.

Not all clips are equal in terms of quality.
    Some years back a reviewer who posts on GS FB page and EDC a lot did some tests and a certain brand of clip broke where another brand held up well.
    I have not had clips from QC break yet, but I had J-Clips deform to the point of being useless over a few months.

Like I said, two J-Clips are of course much better than one and two clips on the QC V2 keeps the holster very stable.
    Some prefer one clip which enables some holster movement which can be more comfortable when sitting down.
    I prefer the stability of two and am used to it even sitting down for long stretches at a desk or driving.

This topic has led to rage quits, more on the GS FB page than here, but still
    Thanks for the detailed information. I'm definitely open to improving my setup.
    I'll likely try the soft loops. Not too bothered with the additional concealment of C clips as I never tuck my shirts.

Banned

My gen 1 chameleon holster for my m&p shield was a bit tight when I got it, but after drawing and reholstering a few times it became easier or the holster loosened up a bit.
    The other thing I then did that now makes it absolutely slick, is I applied some silicone spray lightly to all the contact points in my holster. The lockup is still firm but the draw is super easy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast