Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Martini Henry Values.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Hansie Minnaar who owns Stewart Bullets has drawn cases, I’ve seen turned cases at The Blunderbus
    Which cases are the most durable ?

User

Members, Dr. Wallace Vosloo and Johan Van Wyk are experts on Martini Henry rifles..accoring to Doc Wallace /Johan van Wyk , turned brass is exactly 70gn FF powder and works excellently when re-loading , it has thick walls as well so it is durable..my experience with Hansie Minnaar`s brass is that it is a very thick drawwend brass with mor water capacity up to 85gn FFblack powder ZAR black powder I bought from Johan Greyling is the only black powder I use as well as Doc Wallace and Johan Van Wyk as well as Malcom Cobb and all our other black powder hunters..So, you have two options...I rather want you to support our local providers than going the over sea route that is another possibility, except our Rand is extremely weak and you will not get it cheaper than here in SA at the moment...let me know what you members need and I will assist as well as I am able..the Snider rifles are in the JS Gunsmith shop..I will take photos and upload...

If you do not want to go the black powder route you can use smokeless powder like S355, S365 ect ..but you need to use only 40% of 85 gn FF powder that usually gives you around 34gn of smokless powder and use fillers as well to take up the space in the case when you reload..

User

My experience with turner cases is that they crack quiet easily. Use drawn brass and if you have more than one Martini use only that rifles cases for that rifle. The British used at least 4 different spec chambers, biggest difference between carbine and rifle brass shoulder specs.
    I have some extra cases left from more than 300 cases I made from cbc 24 bore brass.
    Send me a pm if you need.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    My experience with turner cases is that they crack quiet easily. Use drawn brass and if you have more than one Martini use only that rifles cases for that rifle. The British used at least 4 different spec chambers, biggest difference between carbine and rifle brass shoulder specs.
    I have some extra cases left from more than 300 cases I made from cbc 24 bore brass.
    Finkelstein, thank you for this info it is much appreciated ....always nice to see members supporting other members ... Please give a price on your formed cases???

PM sent

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Nice to meet you Finkelstein, thank you for the brass!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Nice to meet you Finkelstein, thank you for the brass!

Was a pleasure to be able to help you- hope that Martini's will be making smoke soon.

User

My experience with turner cases is that they crack quiet easily.
    They do have the tendency to do this, especially if used with nitro powders as the walls are too thick to allow for expantion. With a lot of love and TLC they work fine if you match them to one rifle and keep to BP only. BP in a turned case should give you the equivalent of an original Carbine load.

And if you want to keep your loads in the spirit of the original, remember the paper patching is:
    White - BP for rifles
    Red - BP for carbines
    Orange - Nitro for rifles

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by vratvark View Post
    They do have the tendency to do this, especially if used with nitro powders as the walls are too thick to allow for expantion. With a lot of love and TLC they work fine if you match them to one rifle and keep to BP only. BP in a turned case should give you the equivalent of an original Carbine load.

And if you want to keep your loads in the spirit of the original, remember the paper patching is:
    White - BP for rifles
    Red - BP for carbines
    Orange - Nitro for rifles
    He lives!! 😬

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

))
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast