Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer full stock : A pretty picture

Lovely thing Gert,
    BUT there are one or two things which irk me slightly!! Just my 2c worth.
    The recoil pad deserves to be a Silver's solid red or best London orange.
    The pistol grip should not have white line spacer and it shouldn't be plastic.
    The .458 M-S was renowned for its 28" barrel and apparently they refused to make it shorter in that calibre. I really fancy the full stock, but the cut in barrel length...
    The forend tip should be the proper metal one.
    Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist but the 1956 MC and 1961 MCA's actions and stocks, (Monte Carlo and Monte Carlo All-purpose) although better for attaching scopes, never had the panache of the earlier actions and stocks!! They say the 1956 stock actually prevented the use of open sights with its high MC stock. I see Johan did straighten the bolt handle from the swept back style of the '56 to the original pre-war format. Did he maybe keep the MC stock for better strength and recoil management?
    A peep on the cocking piece would have been nice?!
    Sounds like I'm being way too negative, but it's a superb piece of work!! And all M-S's are exceptional treasures and definitely stir the soul.
    Brenneke, the front trigger can be used on its own ( albeit quite heavy)without setting the rear one if you're in that much of a hurry! Setting it only takes a fraction of a second anyway. The set trigger group and corresponding shotgun style trigger guard add to the beauty of it all.

User

Rod, I agree with you..keep in mind these Mannlicher Schoenauers were build for the USA hunters ..that is why the white line spacers and the strange butt-stock /face pad design...that is why these rifles really did not get to be popular at all since they had to compete with the Weatherby brand of rifles /Rugers as well as Winchester ...but they really were popular in Europe with the European rifle stock design....in Africa various PH/Guides/Game farm owners in Zimbabwe, Tanzania /Botswana loved these rifles and well known hunters/Game Rangers used them..Richard Harland,( Zimbabwe) Terry Irwin ( Tanzania Selous NP) Barry Duckworth ( Zimbabwe) ect..My .458 MS has two safeties...I convert the one safety on the cocking piece to a Ghost ring..it works very well

User

Lovely rifle! I really love the M-S rifles. Only have a 1910 version currently but saving and on lookout for a 1903 carbine. Maybe someday :)

Banned

I wonder why I just loose interest in a rifle if its full stock. I see it and know its 100 years old and one of only 100 known to exist etc, but its a full stock.
    Interest gone.
    Love the read on it love the history, have no desire to own it, interest just gone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I wonder why I just loose interest in a rifle if its full stock. I see it and know its 100 years old and one of only 100 known to exist etc, but its a full stock.
    Interest gone.
    Love the read on it love the history, have no desire to own it, interest just gone.
    Treeman, you are correct, we all have our preferences in regards to what we like /not like about rifles/guns ...for me it is a synthetic rifle stock/or anything plastic on a rifle ...although a synthetic rifle stock is the best thing ever design since it is virtually in -destructible, water proof, scratch proof, sun/rain proof ...everything a Wall-nut rifle stock is not...The nearest I will ever come to a synthetic rifle stock is a aluminum chassis for a long range rifle ..but yes, every one has his/her preferences ..

User

GERT,
    I'm just jealous!
    Please show a picture of the converted "safety on the cocking piece to a ghost ring". I'd love to see it, even if you have to Whatts App to me- you've got my number!!
    Treeman, it's not just the looks of the full stock. The balance and "pointability" of it really puts it in a world of its own for fast target aqcuisition. One of the reasons the Marlin 336 lever actions are so effective- it's got that weight up front underneath, same with an M1 Garand, they just point properly like a double barrelled shotgun. Pick one up sometime or take it pig shooting!

User

Rod, here are some nice photos
    Good day members:
    Update:Change of plan, no soldering , we decided to fit the ghost ring base substituting the flag safety.

I did spend some time working on the ghost ring project today. As usual Johan Greyling discuss the procedures needed to ensure a sound base for the ghost ring.

We decided the best option to get a sound base is to remove the flag safety and substitute it with the ghost ring base. I then copied the flag safety , file down the base ( I removed too much from the base, ) , but will use this item as a prototype ....when completed I will turn another one sine I now have all the dimensions
    This duplicate safety fits real snug in the safety housing.This will serve as a base for mounting a ghost ring. The ghost ring will be adjustable in height and wind-age will be adjusted by the front sight/bead. I still can increase the width of the safety base to dove-tail the ghost ring for wind-age adjustment as well

Keep in mind members, there is another slide safety on the right side of the action that locks up the bolt.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    ..but yes, every one has his/her preferences ..
    I'm very much a tactical stock person, but these full length stock rifles (also some of the CZ's) are very pretty...won't ever own one, but I can appreciate it for those who have them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2