Default Webley's No 4 Revolver, often wrongly called the Webley-Pryse, Survey

On behalf of the world’s foremost Webley expert, Richard Milner www.armsresearch.co.uk, I am seeking information on any of these revolvers held in South African collections. If you have one or more, then please help by letting me have the following information. Send it to me in a PM to preserve your anonymity if you wish.

The No 4 was Webley’s first break-open revolver (1879) and has a twin-tong lever barrel catch, rather than the famous stirrup catch. There was also a version called the No 41/2 and this is included in the survey. The Webley-Wilkinson Second Model has the same latch and is included in the survey, which is limited to revolvers made by Webley..

Serial Number. If a Webley-Wilkinson Second Model, then please include the Wilkinson number on the butt as well.

Calibre marking, as found on the LHS of the body in front of the cylinder, e.g. Webley’s No 4 .450 CF. Webley-Wilkinson Second Models seem not to have been marked, but are probably in .476”.

Barrel length from cylinder face to muzzle and preferably in inches and fractions thereof.

Five or Six shot?

Any inscription on the barrel rib e.g. A&N CSL, P Webley & Son Birmingham, etc.

Thank you
    Peter

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Webley's No 4 Revolver, often wrongly called the Webley-Pryse, Survey

I have a No4 made in 1886, nickel coated, it’s one of my favorite Webleys. It’s a Webley made for Army & Navy. I’ll haul it out the safe tomorrow and give you the info.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Webley's No 4 Revolver, often wrongly called the Webley-Pryse, Survey

PM sent
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.