Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Fly fishing, worth trying out?

Is fly fishing worth giving a go? I mainly spin for whatever I need to catch ,mainly being bass. Is it as expensive as it seems? What sort of equipment is needed for bass, yellows? Can one be a "budget" fly fisherman?

User

Default Re: Fly fishing, worth trying out?

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Is fly fishing worth giving a go? I mainly spin for whatever I need to catch ,mainly being bass. Is it as expensive as it seems? What sort of equipment is needed for bass, yellows? Can one be a "budget" fly fisherman?
    Budget and fishing in the same sentence... never ends well ;)
    Try and find someone willing to show you the ropes, I have a few folk I know that fly fish inland that would be willing to show you around the ropes.

Personally, I'd stick to spinning for Bass/Barbel/Yellows. Salt water fly is an altogether different story though.

User

My experience with Flyfishing for yellow fish on the Orange was slightly less expensive than spinning , A nice 5-6 wt Sensation rod was about R750 reel about R300, Line i cannot remember exactly , but i got R1400 in my head for te whole rig.

As for flies , once you know what to get is about R5 - R10 if you buy , and if you dont loose it with a big fish you can catch many fish with a fly.
    As for whether it is worth it , of coarse it is , , eish , what a question

User

Yes yes yes and yes. A quick 6 hr trip to an unpopulated/untouched piece of river for yellows does wonders for your soul.

If you can, phone western accessories in boksburg. Ask them for a yellow fish kit price in 5wt, they normally have good bundle deals on the xplorer range. They will give you different options. If you plan on going for bass as well, you might want to step the weight up to a 7/8 for throwing bigger flies etc. Having said that, you can and will catch bass on smaller flies with a 5wt. Just buy flies according to weight. I carry two rods with me on the vaal river, a 5 wt for yellows. And a 8/9 wt for barbel.

You can definitely do fly fishing on a budget. If you are on dumbbook. Go find a page "Fly fishing gear 2nd hand or unwanted". Put a wanted advert for a beginner yellow kit. You might find an excellent deal due to the current economic climate.

User

Thanks guys. Just curious as bass fishing on lures can be done in a relative affordable way with brands like sensation and okuma. I do have an old fly kit laying somewhere, think it's a 6/7 weight. Doing some more research.

User

I did fly fishing for Trout, Bass and and also for see/surf fish.

I stopped - my take on it is that is takes something that is somewhat tricky and make it very difficult.

If you decide to get into it and you want good gear at a very affordable price contact me.

User

To me fly fishing is a lot more than the money aspect. Yes like any sport it can be incredibly expensive - rods at R12K+ reels, flights to Costa Rica hahahaha I wish. Fly fishing has become very affordable with the mass production of decent quality rods and fly lines. Access to good fishing spots on the Vaal river is affordable. You can add gear as you progress and if you are innovative make some of your own. First few years I made my own felt sole boots an essential item for the Vaal. Use good quality nylon iso tippet. Make your own leaders. Make you own lanyard to store gear. Be innovative.

User

I fish artificial lures for all species and do fly fishing, mainly for trout and yellows. You can start up relatively cheaply by buying a kit, Explorer a good bet. Start off with a floating line in 5 or 6 weight at least a 9 foot rod. It is a very rewarding hobby and not necessarily that expensive but like all hobbies as you get more involved it adds up.

Get somebody to show you the ropes on the Vaal near Parys for a start. You will need shoes/boots that you can wade with, good polarized sunglasses, rod and flies, landing net and a walking stick for support. Venue pricing is reasonable and many do not allow spinning and limit the number of anglers so over crowding isn't a problem.

User

Also do yourself a favour and take a lesson in fly casting to get the basics right from the start. Casting a fly line is a very different technique from casting a lure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    Also do yourself a favour and take a lesson in fly casting to get the basics right from the start. Casting a fly line is a very different technique from casting a lure.
    Definitely this.
    And if you don't know what you're doing, you will just be flogging the water in the front and whipping the grass behind you and will lose flies and leader line/tippet.
    It's more technique than anything else, if you don't know what you're doing, your shoulder, arm and wrist will be stuffed within an hour or 2

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast