Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Fly fishing, worth trying out?

I started off spinning for bass in farm dams with a good mate in school days. As he progressed, I moved up with him (but slower of course). Next we got into yellows, he would wade in the rapids and I'd hang back and work the earthworms.

Fast forward a couple years, my in laws got me my first fly gear. An xplorer pro cast II combo box (about R2k today direct from xplorer). Kit has a 4 piece rod, two reels (floating and intermediate line), an instructional DVD, a fly box and I think a few basic flies.

I blanked the first few times I used it going after yellows. I've blanked going for trout too. Its a different feel to it. But once you figure out the trick for the conditions, it's great fun.

That's part of the game with fly, the technical aspect. It makes you think a bit more than just casting.

But getting hooked into a bus with a 3 wt while standing in the middle of the vaal is something special.

The abovementioned kit is great to get into it. If you want to spend more money, you start getting all the gear. The gear makes it easier, but it's not a necessity. I started off wet wading in shorts and old takkies. Fast forward a season or two and I got myself some felt wading boots. Makes life much easier.

Trout on fly is also good fun. Dullstroom is a great spot and the dams are fly fishing only.

Have a look at the xplorer website. They have everything you might need. The guys are also very helpful. Going into the shop is dangerous though, they tend to show you nice things.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    Definitely this.
    And if you don't know what you're doing, you will just be flogging the water in the front and whipping the grass behind you and will lose flies and leader line/tippet.
    It's more technique than anything else, if you don't know what you're doing, your shoulder, arm and wrist will be stuffed within an hour or 2
    +1

Have a look at the yellow talk fb group. Good info and references to some good guides.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

I found fly fishing to be the most effective method of catching fish and more rewarding. As soon as i got the cast sorted i was catching more fish than i ever did with lures and even bait. A good day on the vaal Wil have you spending more time on fish than not. A cold winters morning on a trout farm Will give you enough fish for a week long piscetarian diet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    I found fly fishing to be the most effective method of catching fish and more rewarding. As soon as i got the cast sorted i was catching more fish than i ever did with lures and even bait. A good day on the vaal Wil have you spending more time on fish than not. A cold winters morning on a trout farm Will give you enough fish for a week long piscetarian diet.
    Man you must suck at fishing

Ok but serious, many days of my life when using bait in a river system like the vaal using normal bait I stopped fishing, because I did not get the chance to rest a while, you have a fish on the line the WHOLE time.

Whenever I got my fly fishing friends to join I got the impression they used the technique only the fuck around, the goal was definitely not to catch more fish. For two decades I basically studied how to catch fresh water fish, I've got it down, so this remark of yours really puzzles me :)

User

It is definitely worth it. In terms of equipment, if you get a 5 weight rod you can use it for bass, yellows, trout, I've even used mine for tigers, where I knew there were only small ones.

R1500 and u can get a nice set up all in, then just go enjoy the outdoors.

But be warned, 2 hour afternoon trips with your fly rod will soon turn into 7 day hikes through Lesotho fishing along a river for brown trout that have never seen a fly before

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned

Fly-fishing is what bow hunting is to rifle hunting, it max's up on the challenge and awakes the purest in you. Spinning is a matter of casting and retrieving, there is some water reading and some variations in retrieves, bit of knowledge regarding lures and depths, about like rifle hunting for the average guy, see without being seen, some stalking ability to within 200 m and you basically will get lucky.

Now Bow Hunting, you need to get as close as a leopard and be pretty much as good at stalking and waiting. You have to be a master of your weapon and camouflage, know your prey and its habits, and internal vitals. You need to practice and learn and fail and someday succeed, that’s what fly fishing is too fishing.

Fly fishing will take you into a world of WANTING to know about insects and their breeding habits, morning rise and evening rise, temperature layers and PH levels. Wind direction and moon phases. Dry flies and wet flies floating lines, intermediate and sinking lines, sinking tippets and floating tippets. You will shoot a line as accurately as a rifle in the end, dropping a dry fly a foot down on a rise.

There is a whole new world of thrills and discoveries, also new values, like catching a 12 inch Brown wild river trout, just one for the day, kneeling in a fast stream and low casting into an icy pool up stream to thrill at a swirl in the water, a new world of pleasures.

When you have mastered that you can try salt water fly fishing and catching 30 kg cob in the river mouth with 10 weight rods.

A whole new world indeed.
    Starting out does not need to be tens of thousands, a grand or two will do, but then be certain that you will always need an extra line or reel or waders or kick boat or tippets or fly hat or fly coat or waders or boots or thermals or DDD's or Wooley Buggers, Mrs Simpsons.

OH AND BY THE WAY, all the above will lead to fly tying and with it the endless need for components, seal fur, fallow deer hide and klipspringer hair, unwashed wool and feathers from the last living Bandy Legged Cockerel.
    It’s endless.
    When you find yourself paying R400 for a piece of 2 x 2 inch fur from Alaska, then you know you are hooked.

User

Which is why I asked, cathing fish is the esiest thing in the world.
    Fly fishing then would be something you would do to make it harder.

A concept I do understand, but still.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Man you must suck at fishing

Ok but serious, many days of my life when using bait in a river system like the vaal using normal bait I stopped fishing, because I did not get the chance to rest a while, you have a fish on the line the WHOLE time.

Whenever I got my fly fishing friends to join I got the impression they used the technique only the fuck around, the goal was definitely not to catch more fish. For two decades I basically studied how to catch fresh water fish, I've got it down, so this remark of yours really puzzles me :)
    Either suck at conventional fishing or really excel at fly fishing😜

User

Do you fish for food, or for fun?

For food, nothing beats a proper net.

For fun, fly fishing, salt and freshwater, is great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Which is why I asked, cathing fish is the esiest thing in the world.
    Fly fishing then would be something you would do to make it harder.

A concept I do understand, but still.
    I will out fish any other form of fishing on the vaal river targeting yellows and Barbel. Its easier to catch yellows and barbel on the vaal when you know what you are doing fly fishing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast