Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Fly fishing, worth trying out?

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Tried that, tried every presentation I could think of, including dipping (I was that close), every Wooly Bugger I had plus all my other flies.

It was very exciting, frustrating and humbling all at once. I was tempted to take up knitting after that but realised that I probably didn't have the coordination for that either.
    If they were actively feeding they normally take the flies. If they were spawning which they also do in the shallows it is very difficult. I always equate it to a choice between a burger and you know what.

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    If they were actively feeding they normally take the flies. If they were spawning which they also do in the shallows it is very difficult. I always equate it to a choice between a burger and you know what.
    I'm going with that - they were spawning.

Changing my diary entry now & crossing out 'kuck fisihing skills'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I have an old 6/7 rod that I got about 15 years ago. May set it up just to see if fly fishing is for me. I have been in contact with one casting instructor. Question, the part that daunts me the most is leaders and tippets. Some people claim to just use Maxima line as a leader. What's the lowdown when it comes to leaders and tippet setup?
    Best leader I've found in my years if fly fishing is the Airflo braided leaders.
    They are extremely strong and come in different profiles, eg intermediate, slow sinking, fast sinking etc
    So I have a 7w rod with floating line, and just change out my leader if I require a fast sinking fly etc etc.
    It's much faster and easier than changing reels or spools.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I have an old 6/7 rod that I got about 15 years ago. May set it up just to see if fly fishing is for me. I have been in contact with one casting instructor. Question, the part that daunts me the most is leaders and tippets. Some people claim to just use Maxima line as a leader. What's the lowdown when it comes to leaders and tippet setup?
    The guys have given you good advice.
    However, it depends on what type of fishing you're doing. If you are nymphing, strike indicator line is nice with a clear tippet. You don't really cast in the traditional way while nymphing either.

If you go out with a guide, they will show you all you need to know, from rod setup to casting and striking. Let him know that you don't have the right gear and most would bring along for you to use.

I got a guide on a tiger trip a while back. When things were quiet, he showed me all sorts of techniques, not relevant for that specific trip, but he was keen to share his knowledge. I find the fly fishing community extremely friendly and helpful, much like the firearm community.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Booked a session with Wayne Sinclair , he offers a fly fishing clinic.

User

Fly-fishing is a great sport, I only use a float tube when fly fishing , it gives you more water to cover, you do not need to try and cast so far, you can use different lines , weight forwards, sinking lines, intermediate lines....It is safer, you really do not want to traverse our rivers alone ...to me the Float tube/kick boat gives a total different aspect to fly fishing...go for it ...it is not that expensive at all..it just is something you need to have time to do it..find someone to do this with you, a person usually learns a lot from a fellow fly fishing buddy..I usually take a spinning rod as well...mostly do fly fishing when on the float tube or kick boat ..it makes it much easier
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

A kick boat is just about the sliced bread of inland water fishing, the things you see, never to be forgotten.
    A kick boat is what setting up under a Witels in the dark at high spot is to a hunter when the sun rises and grants him a view.
    Even the fish eagles allow you a private viewing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    A kick boat is just about the sliced bread of inland water fishing, the things you see, never to be forgotten.
    A kick boat is what setting up under a Witels in the dark at high spot is to a hunter when the sun rises and grants him a view.
    Even the fish eagles allow you a private viewing.
    Agreed! I got my kickboat when I was about 14, and it's still going strong and my favourite way to fly fish!

Don't forget your nads stay dry in a kickboat compared to a float tube, makes a huge difference in the upper berg at 6am in the middle of July

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

When a student in the 90s I used a float tube at least once a week at Emmarentia Dam to fish for bass. Had tremendous success.

One evening as the sun went down I was targeting them at the wall. In near total darkness the barbel came out. Because you're so still, fish often don't associate you with danger, I've even had hooked fish swim between my legs before. In this instance, a free swimming barbel swam into my legs. I absolutely shat myself and nearly walked on water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly fishing is definitely worth a go, especially if you're gonna target yellowish. I haven't had much success on the Vaal river for yellows but doing a trip on the Orange river is worth every cent. I had great success just doing Czech nymphing. Still prefer a light spinning setup with small crank baits. Vandekloof dam is also a place to visit.

Tight lines!

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast