Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Suppressor for a Howa .308

Anyone got any suggestions for what suppressor I should be looking at for my Howa .308 22".

I want to get the right one this time as the last suppressor I bought was a complete and utter lemon. It weighed a ton, was long, but it literally made almost no difference to sound suppression, I kid you not. What a waste.

I was impressed with the specs of the Whisper by Sus-Tac but have zero experience with it. Anyone have one of Sus-Tac's suppressors on their rifle? I'm not sure what thread (18mm long) I have on my rifle but they seem able to accommodate most threads which is a plus.

Is 36+- dB(C) sound reduction good? I do like the fact that it has stainless steel internals to allow for multiple consecutive shots without heating up too much, for target shooting. Won't make much difference when hunting.

You can find it in this link, just scroll down a bit to Whisper http://sus-tac.co.za/index.php/products/test-4
    I'm not married to this one, just seems like a good suppressor, they also have the Hunter model, which just a toned down version of the Whisper.

Some of the write-up:

The SUS-TAC NON-MAGNUM Series Suppressors utilize an extremely efficient internal design to provide maximum possible suppression and recoil. They are produced to effectively reduce sound pressure within a minimal size housing. The SUS-TAC NON-MAGNUM Series are non-reflex suppressors which attach to the end of the barrel with a screw thread. The units are available in virtually any thread.

SUS-TAC's NON-MAGNUM Series suppressors pass, and with the performance models even exceed, the US Military Specification for hearing safe operation (without any hearing protection) by up to as much as 12dB.

• Lightweight outer housings manufactured from aircraft grade aluminium
    • Accurate, and in some cases improved, shot groupings
    • CNC precision machined billet parts for tighter tolerances
    • Stainless steel Internals for higher abrasion resistance
    • Optional Titanium or Aluminium internals for further weight saving
    • Attractive exterior styling with CeraKote for protection

The SUS-TAC WHISPER is our flagship model. This design is a no compromise performance orientated suppressor. With the cone count increased by 40% over the standard version, this suppressor reduces sound pressure by an impressive 36+ dB(C).

Added to this is that any time the gun is not fired for approximately 5 to 10 minutes any suppressor will fill with fresh air (containing oxygen) and cause a "First Round Pop" or "FRP" to occur. Most silencer designs suffer from a FRP of up to 10 dB louder than subsequent shots. The advantage of this silencer is that it almost completely removes the "FRP" effect. This is important as this can effect the user in many situations such as when hunting or in shooting competitions between rounds as the FRP will in most cases not be hearing safe. Not with this suppressor!

Caliber Range : .222 - .30-06
    Sound Reduction : +-36 dB(C)
    dB at Muzzle (.30-06) : +-129 dB(C)
    dB at Ear (.30-06) : +-124 dB(C)
    Recoil Reduction : +-38%
    Total Length : 244mm Long
    Length Added to Gun : 229mm Long
    Material Selection : Click for Details
    SS Weight : +-373g (0.82lb) (13.16oz)
    SA Weight : +-294g (0.65lb) (10.37oz)
    TT Weight : +-273g (0.60lb) (9.63oz)
    TA Weight : +-257g (0.57lb) (9.07oz)

User

Default Re: What Suppressor for a Howa .308

Never used a Sus-tac, but highly recommend the CMG Recoil Reaper made in Mossel Bay I think. Google them to see results
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Never used a Sus-tac, but highly recommend the CMG Recoil Reaper made in Mossel Bay I think. Google them to see results
    Thanks, R3300 is not a bad price. Some suppressors are in the 7k range.

User

Summary of all the threads on GS:

- Sustac apparently quality, very good, but pricy for locally manufactures product.
    - Warrior for a middle-ground price point
    - Small but dedicated following for Recoil Reaper, as well as one made in Tesselaarsdal (forgot the guy's name, years experience in making suppressors, consulted hy Deon Meyer for a novel... and Tesselaarsdal has a little ex post office coffee shop with the best breakfasts imaginable)
    - Silent hunter is significantly less expensive, all steel, may not be quite as effective but very good for the value point
    - Shooty will say Ase Utra
    - Someone will insist it must be full-auto rated for 30cal...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

- Sustac apparently quality, very good, but pricy for locally manufactures product.
    - Small but dedicated following for Recoil Reaper, as well as one made in Tesselaarsdal (forgot the guy's name, years experience in making suppressors, consulted hy Deon Meyer for a novel... and Tesselaarsdal has a little ex post office coffee shop with the best breakfasts imaginable)
    - Silent hunter is significantly less expensive, all steel, may not be quite as effective but very good for the value point
    Thank you, very useful. What do you have fitted?

Any idea what the Sus-Tac go for? As the Ase Ultra are in the 8k range.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thank you, very useful. What do you have fitted?

Any idea what the Sus-Tac go for? As the Ase Ultra are in the 8k range.
    Sustac are around the R3500-R4500 mark last I checked

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    Sustac are around the R3500-R4500 mark last I checked
    That's actually not that bad and something I can live with, compared to the Ase Ultra anyway. Also considering I paid around R3000 for a piece of aluminium with a hole drilled through it masquerading as a suppressor.

User

If you walk and stalk a lot. Weight is a factor. Many local ones are still around the 500gr mark. Gone are the days where one is forced to use a heavy suppressor. Baffle design etc have seem to come a long way.

User

Just my opinion on another brand, I have a silent hunter on my Howa 308.
    It's cheap compared to others on the market and I think it is excellent value for money. I have shot side by side on the range with other people with 308's with other brands of silencers and the silent hunter perform very very well compared to the much more expensive options.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

I have the Silent Hunter on my Howa .308 24" and I am very happy with it, I don't want anything else.
    I have a video somewhere where we compared it to silencers costing 2 - 4 times as much on other .308 Howas with similar loads and it was better than most and as good as the rest. Yes it is heavier than most , but my 12 year old daughter prevers that rifle and she is not complaining about weight, and I walk and stalk hunt only.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast