Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default No idea were to start

So every year around this time when the hunting season starts, I think about taking it up, never shot a buck before but plenty of winged animals.

So in my head I have the Idea that Id like to shoot small buck such as Rooibok or Springbok, I have shot with many different calibers but that does not mean much.

Id like to know what is the biggest caliber you could use to hunt Rooibok because I dont know if (I probably will) I would want to shoot larger buck such as Kudu or Gemsbok ect, and I dont want to be limited with a caliber that is too small so basically looking for the best all rounder for a first rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: No idea were to start

For antelope hunting it is difficult to beat the .308" caliber as an all-rounder. Whether you choose the .308 win, the .30-'06 Springfield or one of the .300 magnums, they work well on everything from springbok to eland, provided that you use a good premium bullet for the latter.
    The specific cartridge will depend on your personal preference and also your recoil tolerance, although a suppressor or a properly fitted stock or (if you hunt with ear protection and don't mind your guide hating you) a muzzle break will solve recoil issues.

User

+1 for the 308. Very versatile and bullet choice is good. 308's are not all that expensive and relatively cheap to shoot when compared to something like the 375 H&H and 300 magnums out there.
    308 will take down up to Eland with good shot placement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    For antelope hunting it is difficult to beat the .308" caliber as an all-rounder. Whether you choose the .308 win, the .30-'06 Springfield or one of the .300 magnums, they work well on everything from springbok to eland, provided that you use a good premium bullet for the latter.
    The specific cartridge will depend on your personal preference and also your recoil tolerance, although a suppressor or a properly fitted stock or (if you hunt with ear protection and don't mind your guide hating you) a muzzle break will solve recoil issues.
    Very good advice as the .30 size bullets kill very efficiently. Even the old 30-30 is a good call if hunting in the bushveldt. The 308 and 30-06 are more versatile and would be my choice for a first gun. Howa, CZ, Sabatti, Tikka, Zastava and many other makes are available at reasonable prices. Factory ammo in different bullet weights can be found at most gunshops, should you not reload.

And that should be a muzzle brake

User

I'm not an expert or even dedicated hunter. However, the biggest mistake I made when I was in your position, was to buy the .308. What people do not tell you (and you know this already) is that one gun is not enough. You know you are going to buy more in the end. The .308 is good and I have, so far, been able to take down everything I could afford. I'm stuck with it now, because it does an OK job on everthing.

But ... it's not great for antelope. Just good. .270 and .243 are better (sorry, I don't know anything about metric calibers, but they are probably as good?). It's also not great for gemsbok, waterbuck, wildebeest. .375 H&H is better (same goes for the other larger calibers).

You reload, so there is a ton you could do with a .375 H&H. I would start there if I had the chance and buy a smaller caliber when needed.

User

In my opinion a better allrounder than a .308 is a 7x64 or .280 Remington. If you lack class, I guess you could settle for a .270, or if you really want to show everyone how tough you are and how far you can walk, a .30-06. :-P

Decide firstly where and what you are going to hunt most often. If I could get a do over with my bolt actions, I’d start with a 7mm08. Then add a 9.3x62(bigger bushveld) and .300WSM(Kalahari Gemsbuck). Tikka’s! Bear in mind, this is aimed at a handloader.

User

Buying your first rifle – Deciding on a calibre
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Great thread if you haven’t seen it.

The one down side of the 308 is that it does so many things well that makes it more difficult to justify another rifle. :)

Huge fan of the 308, definitely anything in .30 caliber as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I only have one hunting rifle, a 30.06. I flipped a coin between a 308 Win and the 30.06. Actually I just said I’ll by whichever is in stock and flip the coin if they have both. Knowing what I know now and how little I actually hunt with it, personally I would go with a 6.5x55. Less recoil, better BC and I’d be comfortable taking anything with it that I’ve taken with the 30.06, including eland. No need for brakes or suppressors (not that I’m recoil shy), a brake breaks your ears and a suppressor adds weight and length. But that’s just me.

Banned

A lot of shooting with a rifle is done at a bench. If you are not used to recoil a 375 is going to moer you stukkend and you will have a permanent flinch.

I am not a believer in silencers and muzzle brakes when it comes to a hunting rifle. The rifle was made to handle quickly and not be nose heavy. The brake might have little effect on the balance, but it really buggers your ears.

Start with an effective caliber (.30 as advised) and learn to live with recoil (even if you have to use padding for the bench - a flinch is not what you want). You can then later get a larger caliber or a magnum. Very few hunting distances are more than 300m and any standard .30 rifle will have adequate killing power. Stalk closer and enjoy nature rather than sniping from a distance.

I am sure that Tstone will give similar advice. He has done many more hunts than I have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast