Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa 7mm-08

Banned

Question Howa 7mm-08

This was a calibre offering from Howa but I have not noticed this being available for sale in SA ?
    Does anyone know if these were ever offered for sale in SA ?
    I know they were in a number of other countries.

That aside ..
    Does anyone know what the maximum COAL is for the Howa short action ?
    I understand the normal / standard is 2.8 inches ( 70.12mm )
    Perhaps a problem with the 260 Rem and the 7mm-08 where long ( heavier ) bullets are being hand-loaded and the COAL exceeds 70.12mm
    What is the max one can go and still operate without any problems ?
    ( The 6.5 x 55 Swede is bumped up to a long action although not being that much larger )

User

Default Re: Howa 7mm-08

Never seen one advertised myself in 7mm-08. Am awaiting their 300PRC with anticipation though, hope we get them here.

I think treeman has a 7mm-08, maybe check COL with him?

Try AO Sports but I think they are a distributor, so try get a dealer to check if they have stock.

http://aosports.co.za/project/hogue-black/

Banned

Arrow Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Try AO Sports but I think they are a distributor, so try get a dealer to check if they have stock.

http://aosports.co.za/project/hogue-black/
    Thanks
    I have had a look at that site previously
    Appears to be an SA "P.O.Box" company outlet for the main Howa wholesaler distributor -- Fuller Global in the US
    There does not appear to be any way of contacting them directly ?
    Howa in Japan produce pretty much whatever these guys ( and Weatherby / Vanguard ) tell them to
    I wonder how much it costs Howa in Japan to produce a barrelled action ( the metal work ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Thanks
    I have had a look at that site previously
    Appears to be an SA "P.O.Box" company outlet for the main Howa wholesaler distributor -- Fuller Global in the US
    There does not appear to be any way of contacting them directly ?
    Howa in Japan produce pretty much whatever these guys ( and Weatherby / Vanguard ) tell them to
    I wonder how much it costs Howa in Japan to produce a barrelled action ( the metal work ) ?
    Found this, harass those slackers

African Outdoor Sports
    Address: 225 D26 Kyalami Pk, 26 Kyalami Rd, Westmead, Pinetown, 3610, South Africa
    City of Kwazulu Natal
    ,Post Office box: 15222, Westmead, Pinetown, 3608
    Phone number:
    031 700 9405
    Categories: Sportswear,

User

you've got to go through a dealer, I have dealt with them directly but that is another story.

A phone call may be helpful though, maybe things have changed.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    you've got to go through a dealer, I have dealt with them directly but that is another story.
    A phone call may be helpful though, maybe things have changed.
    Ah OK
    Thanks
    Will try that number on Monday -- I understand the dealer story -- Wholesale / Retail / and the guy in the middle ....
    It is just interesting that I have never seen a 7mm-08 advertised on any of the dealer websites ?
    IF all else fails I will get Kings to try and raise a response ..

Banned

Bit of interesting FYI COAL in a short action

The 284 Winchester has a case length of 55mm but still manages to work in a short action

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/284-W...r-Bullets/2737

User

Will never forget a client coming to hunt with me and his 7mm-08 arrived without its ammo at the airport. He hunted with my 3006 for the 14 days he was here, his first safari. He came for about 7 years after that religiously and always hunted with me...with his new 308 win.

It is a good caliber that fills the role of a medium bore like many others albeit with ammo scarcity unless you reload.

The importers import on what they think will sell for obvious reasons. In the last 10 years certain calibers have taken a knock due to some new comers and advancement in LR bullet choices. I've seen some good deals on Howa 7MM Rem Mags and 270's. They are just not the flavour of the month at the moment unfortunately.

As a side note I've just picked up a mint sako 222 l461 for a song. I want to possibly build a 6.5 grendel out of the action...sacrilegious...but I'm looking into.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    I understand the normal / standard is 2.8 inches ( 70.12mm )
    Perhaps a problem with the 260 Rem and the 7mm-08 where long ( heavier ) bullets are being hand-loaded and the COAL exceeds 70.12mm
    What is the max one can go and still operate without any problems ?
    ( The 6.5 x 55 Swede is bumped up to a long action although not being that much larger )
    The issue is with longer bullets being seated normally on the bering surface, with the full ogive sticking out in front of the case mouth. This is what causes some of the more popular loads to get too long for a standard 308-length magazine box. As an example, the 6,5CM will usually accept a 140gn bullet and still fit in the mag, while the ballistically similar 260Rem will only do that up to around a 123gn bullet. The 6,5 Swede is traditionally loaded with a 160gn bullet, so it is even longer.

If you are happy loading your 7mm to within the action's OAL limit, then it will work. This may limit your bullet choice to those with an acceptable ogive length.

I doubt that you will see a 7-08 on any local dealer's shelf. The caliber is not popular enough locally. Here, the 7x57 fills that slot. Getting a Howa with shot-out barrel and having your gunsmith rebarrel it may be the best solution, although the cost would be higher than for a factory barreled action.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast