Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Howa 7mm-08

User

Default Re: Howa 7mm-08

Hi Brenneke

I bought a pre owned Remington BDL in 7mm08 last year, I asked the dealer why the previous owner sold it and was told that he could not get it to group decently. I paid R8000 for the rifle with a Lynx 3-9x40 scope. I glass bedded the action, and have eventually got the rifle shooting 150 grain bullets at about 2550 fps and shooting MOA. at 100m

7mm bullets are freely available and I paid R 500 for a 100 Privi Partisan cases. There are two brands of factory ammo available at Pretoria Arms both in 150 or 140 gr offering.

Shooting the rifle is a pleasure, with low recoil.

I cant wait to take it to the bush, its a nice addition to my 7x64.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post

Hi Brenneke

I bought a pre owned Remington BDL in 7mm08 last year, I asked the dealer why the previous owner sold it and was told that he could not get it to group decently. I paid R8000 for the rifle with a Lynx 3-9x40 scope. I glass bedded the action, and have eventually got the rifle shooting 150 grain bullets at about 2550 fps and shooting MOA. at 100m

7mm bullets are freely available and I paid R 500 for a 100 Privi Partisan cases. There are two brands of factory ammo available at Pretoria Arms both in 150 or 140 gr offering.

Shooting the rifle is a pleasure, with low recoil.

I cant wait to take it to the bush, its a nice addition to my 7x64.
    Many thanks for that update
    I am also looking for one of those "dealer-rejects"
    Do you think you could have got them to drop the price a bit more ?

From my reading it would appear that no-one that purchased a rifle in this calibre ever regrets it

IF only .. whoever imports the Howa decided to wake up and import Howa rifles in this chambering.

PS ;
    Some photos would be most welcome

User

I think there was a small batch of Howa's in 7mm-08 imported several years back because I can remember investigating it before I bought my .308. I've been half on the lookout for a used one for the last couple of years but haven't seen one for sale. I've never seen one on a dealer shelf with my own eyes. Phoned African Outdoor Sports beginning of last year (I think) but got the standard "I don't know anything about that, the guy you need to speak to isn't here, goodbye" response.

7mm-08 seems to be a very efficient cartridge, good all rounder same as 7x57 but in a shorter action. It just didn't quite gain enough traction.

If & when I encounter a .243 or .308 Howa with a shot out or otherwise damaged barrel at a sensible price I would love to rebarrel to a lightweight 7mm-08 or 260 Rem. Both of them should feed from a 243 or 308 magazine perfectly.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I think there was a small batch of Howa's in 7mm-08 imported several years back because I can remember investigating it before I bought my .308. I've been half on the lookout for a used one for the last couple of years but haven't seen one for sale. I've never seen one on a dealer shelf with my own eyes. Phoned African Outdoor Sports beginning of last year (I think) but got the standard "I don't know anything about that, the guy you need to speak to isn't here, goodbye" response.

7mm-08 seems to be a very efficient cartridge, good all rounder same as 7x57 but in a shorter action. It just didn't quite gain enough traction.

If & when I encounter a .243 or .308 Howa with a shot out or otherwise damaged barrel at a sensible price I would love to rebarrel to a lightweight 7mm-08 or 260 Rem. Both of them should feed from a 243 or 308 magazine perfectly.
    Here is an interesting comparison

7mm-08 would be great to build into an all round gun
    Some of the aesthetic features of the Remington 673 appeal to me ( just not the rib )

I was thinking of building something like this off a Howa action
    I particularly like the style of the laminated stock
    EDIT;
    These have now become collectors items -- US$ 1,500.00 and more

User

I can't recall Howa being available in 7mm-08 in SA at all, neither 260Rem for that matter.
    Are you set on a Howa action?
    In February of this year bought a Ruger American in 7mm-08 from Guns & Bows.

Banned

Arrow Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    I can't recall Howa being available in 7mm-08 in SA at all, neither 260Rem for that matter.
    What is set is the -- wallet ...
    Howa generally being more affordable

IF an used / second hand action from some other manufacture came up at a very good price that would also be a consideration

It is possible to obtain a rifle barrel blank 27" in 7mm in the US for US$110.00 ( not a match barrel but still a very good hunting quality )
    I have no idea why hunters in SA are enamoured of Bartlein / Kreiger barrels ( match grade ) at over R6,000.00 for a straight forward hunting rifle ?

User

Many thanks for that update
    I am also looking for one of those "dealer-rejects"
    Do you think you could have got them to drop the price a bit more ?

From my reading it would appear that no-one that purchased a rifle in this calibre ever regrets it

IF only .. whoever imports the Howa decided to wake up and import Howa rifles in this chambering.

PS ;
    Some photos would be most welcome

Hi Bren

PM me your cell no and I will send you some pic's

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    What is set is the -- wallet ...
    Howa generally being more affordable
    At R9800 for a new Ruger American is it not more affordable than a rebarrel of a Howa (or whatever)? And without the hasstle and all the angst that goes goes with a rebuild.

User

Howa's ARE made in 7mm-08, we just don't get them in SA (apart from possibly one small batch several years ago)
    Howa's are NOT made in 260 Rem. They went with 6.5 Creedmoor in that action length and 6.5 bore size.

My personal preference would be to stick with Howa because I already have one in 308 and already have a couple of stocks, spare scope mounts etc. Also makes it easier to swap around if one wants to change configurations from eg hunting to target shooting because everything is interchangeable.

260 Rem (or 7mm-08) for me just allows a bit more interchangeability of magazines etc than 6.5 Creedmoor if one has a 308 as well because it is a necked down 308 case. Also other magazine options like AI pattern will work with 308 based cases. 6.5 CM uses a different magazine because the case is different.

Not sure about the OP's reasoning and preferences.

Banned

Arrow Re: Howa 7mm-08

At R9800 for a new Ruger American is it not more affordable than a rebarrel of a Howa (or whatever)? And without the hasstle and all the angst that goes goes with a rebuild.
    A new Howa / Hogue SS in .308 24" barrel is R9,000.00

It boils down to choice -- finding the combination that appeals to you ( which is often not available )

I am not sure why a re-barrel should involve angst or hassle -- people have been doing it for more than a hundred years -- stock making as well
    The work involved is within the capabilities of a good fitter and turner nothing "rocket-science" about it
    I also do not know why it should be more expensive if one sources the components sensibly -- using not new components ?
    People have been building guns for hundreds of years -- in the millions during wars.

Perhaps the problem is -- that Governments have been devaluing currencies for just as long !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast