Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Howa 7mm-08

User

Default Re: Howa 7mm-08

The problem with re-barreling to a different caliber lies not in the actual work, it lies in the licensing part. I had a Howa 6.5x55 re-barreled to 9.3x62 a little more than 2 years ago. From applying for permission to re-barrel, to receiving the license took a little more than a year. I can not remember the number of phone calls but I had to go back to the police twice to fill in extra/different forms. In theory it is simple, in practise it is an administrative nightmare. I will never go that route again.

Banned

Question Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The problem with re-barreling to a different caliber lies not in the actual work, it lies in the licensing part. I had a Howa 6.5x55 re-barreled to 9.3x62 a little more than a year ago. From applying for permission to re-barrel, to receiving the license took a little more than a year. I can not remember the number of phone calls but I had to go back to the police twice to fill in extra/different forms. In theory it is simple, in practise it is an administrative nightmare. I will never go that route again.
    The VERY special South African flavour ...
    In every Eden there is always a Serpent !

Is there a similar problem if one re-barrels to the same calibre ? ie going from a contour #2 to a #6

User

Less of a hassle but not always smooth sailing either. I've got a shot out .300 win mag Howa now. Not going to bother with re-barreling, will sell action to someone with more money and patience than me and buy a new Howa. Not only less hassle but actually considerably cheaper.

Banned

Arrow Re: Howa 7mm-08

Less of a hassle but not always smooth sailing either. I've got a shot out .300 win mag Howa now. Not going to bother with re-barreling, will sell action to someone with more money and patience than me and buy a new Howa. Not only less hassle but actually considerably cheaper.
    The all new global throw away society

What is the bolt-face on the 300Win Mag ?
    Is it different to the .308 / 30-06 / 270
    ie .470
    or
    Is it .540

Is this still the standard long action ?
    What is the cartridge COAL for this action ?

IF the bolt face is .540 and a standard length long action one would then be constrained to using cartridges that would be suitable for those dimensions.
    An interesting exercise ...

Perhaps a Jeffery 404 is going to work ? on the other hand perhaps not -- sorry Gert ...

Hmmm
    What are you asking for your shot out Howa ?

User

The .300 win mag has the same case head dimension as any of the cartridges based on the 375 H&H, so it is larger than .30-'06 case head. Action is long enough for .300 Weatherby mag and .375 H&H mag (Weatherby builds their Vanguard rifles in those calibers on this action).

Not sure about price, will look at reasonable offers.

Banned

The .300 win mag has the same case head dimension as any of the cartridges based on the 375 H&H, so it is larger than .30-'06 case head. Action is long enough for .300 Weatherby mag and .375 H&H mag (Weatherby builds their Vanguard rifles in those calibers on this action).
    Not sure about price, will look at reasonable offers.
    One could build something on the 375 Ruger ( 9.5 x 63.5 ) which is a modern cartridge and has the same head ( rim ) diameter
    Maybe a 9,3 x 63 ?

Otherwise it is pretty much ALL belted magnum cartridges

Long Action Magnum
    ".257 WBY, .257 Ultra, .264 Win Mag, .26 Nosler, .270 WBY, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM, .300 Win Mag, .300 WBY, .300 H&H Mag, .308 Norma, .30-338, .300 RUM, 8mm Rem Mag, .338 Win Mag, .340 WBY, .338 RUM, .375 Ruger, .375 RUM, .416 Rem Mag, .416 Ruger"

The 375 Ruger is a standard offering in the Howa / Weatherby Vanguard
    Already a couple of threads here about the 375 Ruger

I am sure there are already a number of wildcats based off of the Ruger

As a matter of interest it should be possible to change the bolt on the Howa action to the standard 30-06 bolt face ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    One could build something on the 375 Ruger ( 9.5 x 63.5 ) which is a modern cartridge and has the same head ( rim ) diameter
    Maybe a 9,3 x 63 ?

Otherwise it is pretty much ALL belted magnum cartridges

Long Action Magnum
    ".257 WBY, .257 Ultra, .264 Win Mag, .26 Nosler, .270 WBY, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM, .300 Win Mag, .300 WBY, .300 H&H Mag, .308 Norma, .30-338, .300 RUM, 8mm Rem Mag, .338 Win Mag, .340 WBY, .338 RUM, .375 Ruger, .375 RUM, .416 Rem Mag, .416 Ruger"

The 375 Ruger is a standard offering in the Howa / Weatherby Vanguard
    Already a couple of threads here about the 375 Ruger

I am sure there are already a number of wildcats based off of the Ruger

As a matter of interest it should be possible to change the bolt on the Howa action to the standard 30-06 bolt face ?
    The 7STW, 300Wby, 300H&H, 8mmRM, 340Wby and 416RM all use the 375H&H-length case and thus need a Magnum length action and mag box. Not sure about the RUM family, but likely they are the same length. The rest should fit in a standard (30-06-length) action. The Win Mag family was specifically designed for this action length, same as the 7mm Rem Mag and the Ruger family.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The 7STW, 300Wby, 300H&H, 8mmRM, 340Wby and 416RM all use the 375H&H-length case and thus need a Magnum length action and mag box. Not sure about the RUM family, but likely they are the same length. The rest should fit in a standard (30-06-length) action. The Win Mag family was specifically designed for this action length, same as the 7mm Rem Mag and the Ruger family.
    Thanks for the update
    It is interesting that nearly all of these are BELTED Magnums ( as was / is the original 375 H7H )
    Having the larger bolt face diameter
    I find this type of stuff fascinating -- the history and design decisions behind the cartridges we have today ...

User

The belt is to allow positive head spacing more so on a gentle shouldered cartridge. Think it was H&H that developed this. It secondly allows for rimless cartridges to have a less steep should allowing for smooth feeding from a box magazine.

Not all belted magnums need to be headspaced on the rim but one can also use the shoulder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    A new Howa / Hogue SS in .308 24" barrel is R9,000.00 !
    Yeah. But it is not a 7mm-08.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast